THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO 2019 |

THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO 2019 |

Postby The Duchess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 am

| THE DUCHESS PRESENTS |
THE 64TH MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO PAGEANT

Hello my beauties, I am finally sort of back! Adulthood is challenging and exhausting and quite honestly it’s a miracle I find a way to talk to you guys. But regardless I am here to talk to you guys about my experience watching the 2019 Miss Universe Puerto Rico pageant both on TV AND live. I will give you my thoughts on the pageant and the girls as well as a certain controversial moment, but that last one will be slightly only. So before we start this rather long review I wanna clear up a couple things so we can have full transparency.

I received a last-ticket from a family member to go to the pageant, and I’m not sure how exactly but the seat was actually one of the few seats available and it was next to some of Madison’s family members. I actually got introduced to her parents and her grandma through a mutual acquaintance and I was given a butterfly balloon by her mother. Then I went to my seat and I was introduced to other members of her family who were honestly welcoming and super nice to me.

I was seated in the upper section which means that I got to see everything happening in both Upper and Lower sections. So yes, I think I have a slightly better perspective than people who watched from the TV because there’s a lot that happens that cameras and sound mixers do not capture. Or… try not to capture.

So if you believe these are grounds for my review to be biased, well at least you get all the facts up front. So let’s begin.

| THE OPENING |

Wow. For those of you who do not know, when you put El Gran Combo to sing live in a pageant you will see people lose their mind. People will stand up and people will dance in high heels in the middle of a theater, we take El Gran Combo VERY seriously. And I have to say that after last year I was like they cannot top the sentimentalism that exuded that opening. And they realized this and instead of appealing to feelings of nostalgia, resilience and honestly all we’ve been through; they went for something that will make us feel good. Something to show we are back and we are ready to go head to head with bigger pageants, that we are going steady every year better. I just really like it and it had been a while since I had seen El Gran Combo all glammed up and the utilization of the girls was actually pretty good. None looked like they couldn’t dance, Loiza was slightly off tempo and she recovered so fast and quick I barely noticed watching it live. When the cameras were out, people in the theater were STILL yelling and applauding El Gran Combo; it was honestly such a great start for the pageant.

| TOP 16 ANNOUNCEMENT |

BAYAMON: I don’t understand what happened to Laihany in terms of styling, she should have gone with straighter hair and a different makeup. Since the preliminary I mentioned styling was going to be a problem if they didn’t take care of it during the next few days and the rest of the night. Spoiler Alert: They didn’t take care of it.

PENUELAS: I knew there was a possibility Melanie was not going to be in that Top 16 which is why she is the only one who I got wrong. She looks good here, that’s never a problem for her, but as I explained I just personally feel Aguadilla (the girl who didn’t enter from my list) did better. But I knew she had nailed that interview because she is a fantastic speaker.

DORADO: Looks beautiful and I loved that she smiled a bit more here, she looked so genuinely beautiful.

VILLALBA: I’m sorry but Vivianie definitely looks much better in pictures than she does on motion, I’m not sure what it is. Also the lighting cast this weird shadow in her eyes and the makeup team could have worked around that.

TOA ALTA: Told you she was going to be there, this woman has more lives than a freaking cat… although she probably did good in interview. So it’s okay.

SAN SEBASTIAN: … Honestly, what can I say? I better not say anything.

CAYEY: The more I watch the pageant live I see she is far more impactful in photoshoots than in real life, she’s still pretty but lacks that spark.

LOIZA: Loiza did the work, period. No explanation needed.

TOA BAJA: Madison looks absolutely beautiful on TV and that’s undeniable, that was the moment it became obvious to many she’d win.

CAMUY: So Camuy listened to El Tio de Reinas, and took out a bit of the extensions and straighten the hell out of that hair. She looks fantastic on camera and her nose isn’t even as much of a problem given the spark on this girl.

MOROVIS: Morovis had me scared here because she looks FANTASTIC on the camera and I could see her getting FAAR.

CAROLINA: Even sporting straight hair, one of my most frustrating things about her, she actually looked very well and her skin matched the dress perfectly. I saw how great she looked on TV and I have to say I felt very proud of my girl because I knew she’d get far.

SALINAS: I love this girl and she looks stunning on TV, I wanna see her in another pageant I just can’t quite tell which.

LARES: Lares has become that girl you wanna see succeed and realize her full potential, and even though she didn’t let herself go enough at prelims , I’ve been told by multiple people she had an extraordinary interview.

ARECIBO: YES. That girl needs to go to Miss World or Miss International. Period, Point, Black.

AGUADA: Everyone was right, Aguada had generated such a fanbase as a newbie that it was enough to land her a spot. And I am glad because her evening gown presentation got me so worried after the preliminary.

| THE VIDEO PACKAGES |

I have to say that my little island and the Miss Universe Puerto Rico organization has NOTHING to envy other national pageant. Only in their second year and do you see this production? We don’t even have that much capital as some of the other bigger organization but oh my god I was so impressed. I loved that the presentation of candidates before the Top 16 was very good and great promotion for our local designers. Each group of girls with their own designer in a specific area of the museum was just exquisite. And the video of the candidates after the Top 16? With the colorful smoke bombs and stunning visuals in different parts of our beautiful islands. The people at the theater were losing it even for candidates we don’t even like because they were just so beautiful. I didn’t see a single girl who looked bad, even those who are not the most stunning or in the best shape. I would actually tell Miss Universe to inspire themselves on that for glamshot… that’s too beautiful. Here you can see the potential of women like Camuy, Salinas and Loiza for international pageants; they looked telegenic as hell on that screen.

| THE BACKSTAGE INTERVIEWS |

I HATEEE backstage interviews in ANY pageant with the same two idiotic questions they always ask the girls. “What are you doing to keep this body?” “What are you going to eat after the competition is over??. Gurl… also none of those interviews are honestly relevant. I understand why they are done but still they suuuuck.

[youtube]f1BGMYZsqOc[/youtube]

| SWIMSUIT COMPETITION |

I have a thing against “singers” like Ozuna, Anuel AA, ect. BUT I have to say that this is one of the very few songs that guy has that are passable this one is okay for a swimsuit competition. It has a good beat and a good rhythm that the girls can walk in, so to me it was actually a very good choice. For production design I have to say the organization did pretty good and I love that it looked so different from last year, loved that shift. The swimsuits are basically the same shape as the preliminary competition in metallic fabric with the exception of the one piece. To me these one pieces were much better than the ones in the preliminary.

BAYAMON: Honestly… La Ponton little by little kinda deflated during the competition but to me she looked better in the preliminary. Laihany had a whole year to prepare because she auditioned last year and got in yet dropped out but kept supposedly training. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough because her hair looked fuller and better in the prelims and her makeup was more subtle. And the reality is her body looked like she had more pounds on than I think she actually has, and I am not the only saying this. This was a critique of her for MOOONTHS, and to me her team honestly did a disservice to her in terms of styling. She has had much better nights.

PENUELAS: Melanie did very well but to me her hair doesn’t look good in this lighting, I have always liked her with a bit darker hair. Her catwalk was good, she is a good performer and even if I think she has done better, she did better than preliminary competition. This swimsuit looked much better on her this time and it gave her a little bit more shape, even though she still looks a bit boxy in certain angles. I do not want to sound mean but I personally think this should be Melanie’s last competition; since her preliminary I keep thinking that spark she had has been lost.

DORADO: Oh my Rebeca you have grown so much and you looked like a queen on that stage, she had a beautiful walk. Even though she doesn’t have much of a waist, she walked in a very smart way that created the illusion of a shape when on the catwalk. I honestly think she did great and I just knew she get far in the competition when I saw her walk, it was one of my favorites in the SS competition.

VILLALBA: Vivianie is actually very lucky to be so proportionate because being the shortest in the competition she actually looked taller. She had a very beautiful walk and her swimsuit helped her look even better, I loved that color on her and I love her with loose hair.

TOA ALTA: Ivanna has honestly more lives that a cat but wow can this girl deliver on the catwalk, having one of the best bodies ever. She strutted beautifully and that beautiful torso of her looked enchanting with those movements. The color and shape of the swimsuit only improved the appearance of her body, I have to say I applaud Ivanna for not only coming back but wow what a delivery. Also, I have to say that the medium length-straight hair look is the best thing that ever happened to her.

SAN SEBASTIAN: The thing about Estefania Soto is that she was branded to me as a catwalk diva for weeks prior and after the preliminary competition, and I don’t think she ever gave me that. I mean she did great in this portion of the competition, cause she did but I never saw a catwalk that would do damage in a Miss Universe. She looks tall (She is tall) and she has a better figure here than in the preliminary competition with the change in bikini. Her hair looked great and on tv she actually looked pretty decent, my problem with her is that even on tv she sometimes looks older. Not decrepit but kinda mature. Not sure how that would play out on Miss Universe, which is one of the reasons I’ve always had reservations on her.

CAYEY: While Cayey tends to walk a bit extra sometimes I am glad she got around to not only bring back her dance a bit but also time it perfectly with the music Her catwalk had improved a lot in my opinion. I do have to say she is far more impressive with stylings like “De Quien es la Corona” so I don’t know why her team decided to style her like this.

LOIZA: Loiza is a girl I find myself thinking twice because although it was a great performance I just don’t see her winning a Miss Universe. I actually see her walk and performance very Miss World, that thought has not left my mind. Her body here looked better than in the preliminary competition but I would have chosen another color on the bikini. To really compliment that skin, but overall Loiza delivered so she should be part of that Top 10.

TOA BAJA: Madison’s walk and stage presence shows you one thing and that is experience, she knows how to walk and position herself on stage. Her pose at the end was FANTASTIC, she looked like a doll just waiting for the screaming (*cough cough*) died out but the public was over the moon with that catwalk. Her body looked amazing with that new one piece swimsuit, it made her have more waist and the design itself is a masterpiece. From one designer to another, congratulations MCS Swimwear; you guys kill it every year (they’ve done the swimsuits since 2015).

CAMUY: Okay, this girl is a Miss Supra and very possible Miss Universe Top 5er; I am sold people congratulations. This is another girl who benefited from the new one piece swimsuit because it fit her in a way she looked healthier and curvier. And with that straight hair Oh My God she looked ready to destroy a Miss Supra, for real I really think she could get us far. I have had so many issues with her nose yet with that styling I couldn’t even think about it, I was focused on that projection.

MOROVIS: Morovis. What can I say about this wonderful woman in that swimsuit competition, she was actually my runner up for Best Swimsuit performance. She moved great, had a beautiful body and has such freshness and power on that catwalk that not very few can emulate. Was she my favorite face? No, I’ve said since Pre-Prelims. BUT this is one of those girls that could win on performance alone regardless of her facial features. Also, that smile is absolutely RADIANT on camera, it’s my favorite thing about her; truly. I would have worn a copper bikini with her skin tone.

CAROLINA: To me this was Tanya’s best part of the whole night, the last time we really saw her being comfortable and happy and fully concentrated. She walked beautifully and her face looked great, her ponytail (I will always say her hair should be the magnificent fro) actually looked good with the overall look. The swimsuit was okay, nothing special but she didn’t look boxy or too athletic and that was the most important part. Unfortunately I think this was Tanya’s highest score of the whole night.

SALINAS: I really like Salinas I think she could do well in another pageant, but I liked her performance here. Do I think it was stronger in the preliminary competition? Yes. But she still managed to look fresh and bubbly and honestly she looked like she had a nice time. To me she projects a lot of good and fresh energy.

LARES: Lares CANNOT be in a local pageant until she comes out of her shell and even here you can see she is a shy girl. Like really shy. She looks beautiful and I can tell she is very happy but at the same time, she just looks so shy. I can see her overthinking a bit, I see her being super aware of all these things she needs to do. To me, she is AMAZINGLY beautiful but she is not ready yet.

ARECIBO: To me Arecibo looked and walked better in her preliminary competition, and this is where she needed to bring it. To me she should have gone to the Top Ten but unfortunately that performance didn’t give me enough to defend that now.

AGUADA: Aguada needs to come back in a few years with a new team who knows how to style her and knows how to teach her walking. Her walk from the neck down was pretty good, a touch extra, but still pretty good.

[youtube]unVPWx7-Xu4[/youtube]

| TOP 10 ANNOUNCEMENT & EVENING GOWN |

I have to say that I agree with this whole Top 10, after the swimsuit competition I knew Bayamon, Aguada and Penuelas were done for. And honestly don’t think Laihany and Penuelas should come back to pageantry, I think their time is done. I don’t think they have that It Factor anymore, I think a 3rd and 4th time from these girls would be too much; it won’t be interesting anymore. For the rest of that announcement I have to say that the ONLY thing I would fix would be to work on the camera choreography because in an announcement I wanna see the contestants’ reactions not Jaime Mayol reading. I get it, the dude is hot, but I’m not there for him. I’m more of a Julian Gil kinda girl anyways. For the evening gown competition to me the production design was so good, it looked much better than last year.

VILLALBA I love that she kept the down but I don’t like that she put on a bun instead of a structure loose hairstyle. I loved her walk and I think she really looked beautiful and elegant, I think this was the best she looked. I really love her A. Manuel gown. Now I have to say that while she is very proportionate she still looked kinda short, I knew she really just could not stand next to SS, TB and Camuy with their almost 6” and really shine.

SAN SEBASTIAN So to me, Estefania is much better in the Evening Gown runway, her walking is more Evening Gown… but I don’t think is a Miss Universe walk. She won’t really shine in Miss Universe with a walk like that, I honestly see her in Miss World given her resume and advocacies. Her gown was beautiful (Ecliptica is great) sure but again I don’t think it’s a FINAL night gown; I think it was like a nice prelim gown.

DORADO my dear Rebeca looked like a WOMAAAN and it was amazing visual for me having been following her since her teenage years. Her Stella Nolasco gown looked beautiful of her even if I wanted the illusion of a waist, that gown really made her look beautiful. Her walk was elegant and calculated, she showed that she has been training for years for this day and it really paid off. I knew then she would go to Top 6 easily.

CAYEY changed her plumette-inspired gown for a rather nice Marcos Carazanna gown and it was the best choice she could make. It showcased her figured and she could walk a bit better in it than the other one; plus it looked much better on her. Now I am personally not impressed with her evening gown walk because it’s a bit too sassy for my taste, although I understand her signature on pageantry is more towards the sexy side.

MOROVIS personally I think this should have been the number 6th spot in that Top 6, definitely not Cayey. She can project beautifully on stage, she looked kinda ethereal there, and she was in control of her walk. I really just love confident Hazel looks on stage, it’s really fun to watch her on the stage because she really delivers. I loved her styling for head to toe and I have to slow clapped standing for Angel Guzman creation, one of my favorite MUPR gowns.

TOA ALTA I have to say that if it if Ivanna would have looked like this 2 years ago, perhaps I wouldn’t have minded her being in the Top 5. This year she looked more elegant and regal, her body looked so beautiful that I keep thinking if she had a Miss Universe caliber face… uff. Her walk was confident and regal, she knew was she was doing and she was proving why she is in the Top 10. Honestly I am just absolutely dead from just looking at how stunning her damn body looked all night, did NOT help my self-esteem. Her beautiful gown is from the Kation boutique.

CAROLINA okay… to be completely transparent, I will say that from my seat in the upper level her dress looked fine. It looked like a VERY risque dress but NEVER would I have thought it was anything like what was really happening. I saw her catwalk, I thought it was pretty good, and I saw her walk away fine so again it wasn’t shocking to me. It wasn’t until she was waiting to be called on the Top 5 that the person on my right side “Her boobs are almost out” and I found some tiny binoculars… Oh Boy. My dear beautiful Tanya.

LOIZA I see this girl on her beautiful Carlos Alberto gown but to be honest she keeps giving me Miss World instead of Miss Universe. And I am glad she didn’t do that little face-hand combo she did in the preliminary competition. I have to say that by this point is very obvious that this Top 10 was FIRE, all these girls brought it one way of the other. And even though I wished Dorayma wore her hair down she still looked STUNNING in her little bun. She honestly looked like a Greek muse from the 1997 Hercules film, it was honestly beautiful.

CAMUY One word: Supraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanational

TOA BAJA let’s be real, this woman walks better than at least 65 Miss Universe 2018 candidates did on the preliminary competition. She didn’t need to exaggerate, she didn’t need too much swinging or posing; she dedicated herself to showing the judges she can give you balance in a catwalk. That dress is one that I surprisingly love and I think it’s because even if its a simple shape, the way Luis Antonio stoned that dress and the fabric he used was honestly… beautiful. The simplicity of it really had me and even though I was told she had a red slightly more elaborated gown, I think they made the right choice.

| TOP 6 ANNOUNCEMENT |

So this was actually the second most frustrating part of the whole night, to me this was the first event that cemented Madison as MUPR. This was one the moments I felt for sure Madison would win, the course of time was chosen in this announcement. I knew that she just needed the final look to win this whole thing. There was one key player in this game and that was Miss Morovis, a woman that opens her mouth and demolishes the rest. She looked ravishing in evening gown and had a dazzling smile which made her a threat to the rest of the girls; she could have been a headache for Madison. I know that Carolina and San Sebastian were good speakers too but their scores (to me) weren’t as high as Morovis, specially Carolina’s EG score. So I figured that if she passed to the Top 6, her questions scores could have made it close enough that Madison would NEEEED a perfect Total Look. But then this happened.

SAN SEBASTIAN: So um, San Sebastian got in which was honestly surprising considering I honestly thought Toa Baja, Camuy, Morovis, Dorado, Loiza and Villalba to me were better. NOW, if it wasn’t for the rumors that were running around the web days prior about the pageant being fixed for her, I wouldn’t have been so annoyed. I’ll admit, I saw her and was like they are gonna bring her to the damn Top 2 you just freaking wait. All of that was at the moment, emotions were high and the Duchess was annoyed, so I might have been more biased than usual. Now rewatching the pageant I can see her entering the Top 6 but definitely in the cusp of not being in it. Sorry, I still believe there were at least 4 girls who did better than her BUT now I can see more of the reasons she was here.

BUT, while rewatching it for the 3rd time I noticed something interesting given the fact that sometimes they took too long to take the camera away from the hosts. So right after Jaime Mayol calls up San Sebastian’s name the cameras stood there for too long and caught this very interesting face:

Now I have tried all possible explanations, I was like maybe they were booing but for the life of me I cannot remember any booing prior the question and answer portion. I thought perhaps someone said something in his earpiece, but what the hell could have been said for him to react so shady? I had to make a gif about it.

CAMUY

Camuy was honestly an easy girl to predict, she did beautifully in both around and her stage presence is honestly undeniable. It would have been a crime for her not to be called in the first 5 numbers which are the best scores.

TOA BAJA

This was honestly not really surprising given that she was the best in both areas.

CAROLINA

Carolina wasn’t surprising to me watching it live because like I had mentioned I didn’t know about the dress debacle until precisely this point. Now watching it on TV with the whole boobs-out debacle I’m surprised her score was high enough for her to go into the Top 5. She was actually my 6th just because I think the EG portion was better for Toa Alta than her honestly.

DORADO

I could tell she was scared but I honestly don’t know why because she did so well, like baby you’re good no need to be scared. I kinda wanted to hold her, it was so obvious she really wanted this; it made her a crowd favorite. Everyone cheered for her and yelled for her to be chosen because we all knew she needed to be there.

Then by the popular vote [somehow] Cayey achieved the sixth and final spot which was actually the most shocking spot. Sorry but to leave out Loiza who the media loved and Morovis who did so well, the fact that Cayey got there was shocking to me.

[youtube]QpOOhc2q1-U[/youtube]

| TOP 6 Q & A |

Okay. I will talk slightly about each contestant’s question and answer and while I will talk slightly about the booing I won’t go as much into detail. For my thoughts on that amongst other things that have been bothering about this ridiculous controversy ect. I will redirect you to my other thread which will come in the next couple of days because there A LOT of ground to cover. So keep alert for that one.

Its almost done but honestly it's taken longer than expected to upload all the receipts and talk about them. And I don’t want to just keep leaving this review in the folder, so imma publish this one first.

I suggest you finish this thread first so you can get the nice and calm Duchess to guide you to this very professional review. Then you can see the angry and done Duchess guiding you to um her thoughts and emotions in the next couple days. Still here? Good. Okay so we will go for each answer and questions and my thoughts for each answer. And I will tell you right now that this whole portion was a disaster so I’m not surprised with the results. So let’s begin.

IF I’m not mistaken this was directly after they announced Cayey as Top 6, she was announced after a commercial break, so the first one was San Sebastian.

SAN SEBASTIAN (QUESTION BY ALBA REYES, MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO 2004)

Q: “Goodnight, the question is: Do you think women right now have achieved gender equality with men? Why or Why not?”

A: -5 second pause- “I think that throughout history men have benefited from privileged position that has perhaps allowed certain life experiences to be easier to live through than us women. Nevertheless, thanks to our society’s activism and our generation, we are achieving a change… we are achieving an impact. And even though we still have a lot to do and work for, I think we are on a good path. Thank You.”

I think this was Estefania’s high point during the whole competition and it was the moment it confirmed to be she was at the wrong pageant. Her resume, eloquence and passion for her cause will be much more appreciated in the Miss World pageant than the Miss Universe. Her answer was good even though I wished she would have given examples of how we haven’t achieved full equality in our society. That would have been my only edit.

CAMUY (QUESTION BY ALAN SOKOL, PRESIDENT/DIRECTOR/CEO OF HEMISPHERE MEDIA GROUP)

Q: “Given the losses caused by the Hurricane [Maria] the government of Puerto Rico will receive a large sum of federal funds, where do you suggest the government invest the money and why?”

Note that this judge can barely speak Spanish without an accent yet there’s not booin- nevermind, let’s move on. Also Camuy ALSO asks for clarification, still no booing.

A: “Where to invest and why? -judge repeats that portion- Ok. Due to Hurricane Maria we have lost homes, we have lost food, we have lost families. We are very united people that needs that unity that characterizes us even further, that unity that day by day we projected unto the future. And I say that the government should be focused on the necessity of Puerto Rico as long as in the people that need it. Thank You.”

Now come here, you Camuy fan that was booing Madison last week, and take this imaginary highlighter marker and tell me WHERE IN GOD’S NAME WHERE FABIOLA ANSWERED THE QUESTION?!?. “In the people that need it.” Uh… what. Also where is the reason to give it to the “people that needed. Now as much as I love Fabiola the reality is she wasted too much time trying to appeal to the sentimentalism of Hurricane Maria. Are we resilient as hell? Yes, but that wasn’t the question. She could have talked about how we lost most of our agriculture, or how there are still people who cannot afford to fix their houses or talk about the crisis at the Forensic Science buildings. So no, I don’t think Camuy answered the question.

TOA BAJA (QUESTION BY ANDRO NODARSE-LEON, CUBAN BUSINESSMAN)

Q: “Goodnight. [Madison says “Goodnight, and goodnight Puerto Rico”] Tell me, how do you think that tourism contributes to the development of Puerto Rico?”

Now I am going to tell you, foreigners that don’t speak Spanish and the Puertorricans who were not in that room like I was. And I being very sarcastic as I say this. THIS is the absolutely horrendous line uttered from Madison Sara’s lips that ignited Cayey and Villalba's fan bases to incite booing and insults towards Madison. To this group, Camuy’s, Bayamon and San Sebastian’s fans joined in. How do I know? I was right in front of them so don’t try to deny your trashiness. Are you ready to see the horrifying sentence? Brave yourself.

Calmly Madison says “I wanna be very clear because obviously, Spanish is not my first language. So if you can, could you repeat the question?”

OH MY GOD! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! HOW DARE SHE? OH M- you people are so ridiculous it’s embarrassing.

A: [The judge struggles to repeat question because trash is booing] [you can see Roselyn Sanchez hands telling them to settle down] [Jaime Mayol struggling to be classy tells them to shut up and says thanks] [judge finally is allowed to repeat the question] “Well definitively economically, that can help a lot and also… say I'm Sorry, let me breathe” [nervously laughs and trashy Cayey fans start booing again]

And look at what a Queen does. When the judges turned around ready to take on the public Madison looked at them and “No, Ta’ Bien” or “No, it’s okay”.

She could have walked away or cried, or let the judges handle the bullies, but she told them to not mind them. And she said it in a very Boricua way BY THE WAY. She looked at Jaime smiling and he nodded in support because he was so over the situation. She elegantly waited for them to shut up and concluded her answer. “Definitely it can help economically here in Puerto Rico. Because Puerto Rico is beautiful and it has diversity and you can enjoy everything so I think that that can help a lot. THANK YOU, Puerto Rico.”

I’m going to tell you why Madison Sara Anderson Berrios, daughter of a Puerto Rican beauty queen and an American businessman and daughter of the diaspora, secured her win here. And why her own bullies cemented their enemy’s own victory. When you choose to bring down the elegance of an event by bullying a person for their place of birth, native tongue and dna… you better make sure that judging panels are full of people just like you.

Let me give you a rundown of the judging panel, shall we?

Isaac Demel- American-born (who has lived in PR for a number of years) Founder of Lido Jewelers, makers of the crown.

Agueda Lopez- Spanish model and mother of Luis Fonsi’s (Puerto Rican singer) two children born in the US. Has constantly visited and loves the island

Carlos Delgado- former Puertorrican MLB player who has spent a great portion of his life in the US with his Puertorrican wife and children.

Roselyn Sanchez- Puerto Rican model, actress, former beauty queen, singer/songwriter, producer and writer. Married to american actor Eric Winter and has two children with him, Sebella and Dylan.

Alan J. Sokol- American CEO/Director/President of Hemisphere Media group

Melissa Marty- Puerto Rican former TV Host and beauty queen who lives in the US with her husband… gee, wonder where does children could be born?.

Andro Nodarse-Leon- Cuban Businessman

Laura Posada (nee Mendez)- Life Coach, Philanthropist and co-founder of the Jorge Posada Foundation along her husband Puertorrican MLB player Jorge Foundation. Mother of two children living in the US alongside them.
Juan Miguel Muniz- Chief of El Vocero newspaper

Alba Reyes- Miss Universe Puerto Rico 2004 and 2nd Runner-Up at Miss Universe 2004.

Did you all really thought you could boo a half-American/half-puertorrican beauty queen who was born in the US and has problems with Spanish? In front of a panel full of former queens, mothers of half Americans, people living in the diaspora and even a dude who struggles with Spanish? Really? Now I don’t want to say you lack logic or are stupid…

I’m just gonna say you are the reason shampoo has instructions.

CAROLINA (QUESTION BY ACTRESS ROSELYN SANCHEZ)

Q: “How are you? [Tanya says she’s good] Winning the crown will give you the opportunity to have a platform of social content. If you become the next Miss Universe Puerto Rico, which would be your philanthropic work and how would you make a difference in your year of reign?”

A: “Goodnight. Eh… I’m currently working with the Alzheimer’s cause. I consider that the Alzheimer’s sickness it is a cause that doesn’t get picked up here in Puerto Rico with the priority needed. Alzheimer’s is the third cause of death in Puerto Rico and the priority of the families [cheers interrupted the answer] the families need more than anything the necessity and the help to help the family members who have this big sickness. So to me it would be very important to be the voice of the people suffering from Alzheimer's disease so this disease can go forward and can have the necessary help. Goodnight.”

Her answer was honestly the best even though that last part was confusing, it was obvious she meant that she wanted to be the voice of those families so they can move forward.

DORADO (QUESTION ASKED BY MODEL AGUEDA LOPEZ)

Q: “Goodnight. What is the most significant change you have seen in your country in the last three years?”

A: “Goodnight, Puerto Rico. The- The change- I’m sorry. [Cayey fans started to boo and a lady close to them told them off- you can’t hear it on tv] the biggest change- the biggest chang- the most emotional change- the most sig- Ay significant-[slightly laughs looking at Jaime]. The most significant change has been my generation that has believed in inclusion, has believed in applying everybody in this society in this society together with the wisdom of past generations like my parents’ and my grandparents’ so I think that uh inclusion has been a very significant change and neither the law that they wanna approve, the religious law, shouldn’t be a part of us. We are voices to want Puerto Rico with a better inclusion. Thank You.”

Sure… Madison had the worst answer.. Okay.

Honestly Dorado got too nervous and then lost concentration thanks to cafres booing her for no reason, so she dropped the ball.

CAYEY (QUESTION BY LAURA POSADA)

Q: “Goodnight. My question is: If you had to motivate someone to overcome an obstacle, what would you say in that moment?”

A: “GOODNIGHT, PUERTO RICO! I will tell them that it doesn’t matter that goal, they should keep going and fight for it. To follow that goal and never give up. I think that when you fight a lot for something and you follow it you can achieve anything you put yourself too. [Finger up] Nobody knows. Nobody knows what you can give but you. Thank you, Puerto Rico.”

Hm [goes to Camuy’s fans] give me that marker [comes back] HEY, Cayey fans, while your queen answered coherently can you tell me exactly why your girl keeps talking about goals instead of obstacles? Those are two different words that carry two different conversation, and I perhaps wouldn’t be so strict about staying on topic if it wasn’t for the fact that you were the same people saying Madison and Rebecca didn’t answer their question.

[youtube]ljBWsOlDzKo[/youtube]
| TOP 3 ANNOUNCEMENT |

So the Duchess is going to be real at this moment and give you a fun fact about her in pageantry… she is more a pessimist than an optimist. SO, even though she felt Madison was it… this dark anxiety started creeping in saying “They’re gonna cut her” and oh my god that is an awful internal fight. I actually got severely nauseous when Madison got called to the Top 3, now thinking about I wonder how Ricans felt watching Miss Universe 2001 live on the venue. This was honestly a very expected and obvious Top 3.

| FINAL QUESTION |

So by this point it was very interesting to me that suddenly all teams from some eliminated girls became the biggest fans of San Sebastian. Interesting because a hefty portion of these people were the same ones surprised she made to certain points of the competitions. But regardless, at this point the space had become this fight of Boos vs Cheers… one that it should be revealed that the Duchess fully participated on. I tend to be non-confrontational, but I have to say that at this particular point when the cameras were off it was IMPOSSIBLE to not have a team. Every eliminated team chose a side eventually on the stands, honestly it was a whole thing. BUT back to the question, at this point in the competition the girls’ scores back to ZERO making this the second and final set of the competition. Each girl had the same question and of course their own individual answer, and to me it was kinda interesting to watch it again. Since the Q&A came RIGHT after the Top 3 announcement, so the Duchess was still recovering for emotions, I legitimately didn’t remember A DAMN thing about this portion. I just remember Madison being extremely proud with her answer and the fact that she was in the Top 3. So this is my first time truly watching this answers so the commentary is truly fresh for you guys haha. The final question is the following:

“Which do you think are the factors for the high incidence of violent crimes against women and what can we do as a society to improve this situation?”

Again Jaime Mayol has to tell people silence is needed in this portion of the pageant.

TOA BAJA: “This is a question that is very close to my heart, because currently I am working here with [the subject] of domestic violence. I believe that it is a silent battle so if our country can help and use their voice. And if I have the honor, responsibility and opportunity to use my platform [a word im missing, probably “as”] the next Miss Universe Puerto Rico, I wanna use my voice for the people who feel like they don’t have one. Most importantly in that cause. Thank You.”

Madison definitely looked and spoke far more comfortable this time around, to me she got a second wind when her name was called. She spoke carefully and cohesively about the subject and even though she obviously still had some difficulty translating in her mind, it was much better than in the top 6 Q&A. Something I noticed about Madison communication skills is that she is very casual in the way she speaks, like a conversation. She doesn’t try to sound perfect, she just wants to take herr message across in a way that I think is the reason why it’s so successful. She gives her answers while looking at the judges and acknowledging and interacting with Jaime Mayol. I think the best way to describe her answering technique is honestly interactive. She looks like she is answering to the judges not the people, which the other candidates (specially Camuy) didn’t. And personally I love that she was even answering to the host, I don’t know why, I just found it very nice.

CAMUY: “Good Afternoo-Good Night. Puerto Rico needs peace, needs harmony, Very Important. It needs good men and women that spread the word to every single that find the generation that find themselves going forward into the future. That generation that faces- that gives us the capacity to pos-to move forward and I would say that peace, harmony and security is essential to be able to move forward to any woman that’s a victim of domestic violence.”

Okay so...uh… this was the best translation that I could come up with because honestly her answer in spanish was so full of backtracking and sudden changes in direction. So it makes it difficult to properly translate because you lose the cohesiveness, so I apologize but this is the best I could come up with. She was obviously too nervous and kept backtracking on the route that she wanted to go with her answer. Which I’m sure told the judges that she was just not quite ripe for Miss Universe yet, I fear she could have become a meme in Miss Universe. I saw some here in Puerto Rico already. But I have to say that she is so confidently answering… whatever she was answering that you kinda have to give her props haha. She is not really answering the question given that saying “we need peace and harmony to fight domestic violence” sounds too pageant patty. And honestly it’s not like it’s a realistic answer to the domestic violence. Madison chose to go for the “create awareness” route while Estefania went to for the “education fights gender roles” round. I’m just not sure what route Fabiola was suggesting in her answer, so I need her to come back much more trained in this particular area. Sadly I knew that she was probably 3rd place after this.

SAN SEBASTIAN: “[an actual 10-second pause] I think that...we live in a society… where we have naturalized a behavior based on [laughed and pauses] based on [paused] the dynamics of gender [3 second pause] and in consequence has unfortunately resulted in a behavior a little unfavorable for women. And definitely, I understand that it should be education, it should be education the most powerful tool that each one of us can count on to them start to break down the social dynamics, those naturalized behaviors. And that way find a way then to create an impact and a change which is what we all need, thanks.”

I remember being in the crowd and everyone including myself was getting REALLY impatient as the seconds passed without San Sebastian answering. Look I don’t like her, at ALL, but c’mon I don’t want her to choke on the final question so we all cheered a bit to see if that helped. Which kinda did and she started answering the question, which to me although well spoken it was mostly fluff. I think that only the last part really answered the question, her solution was education, yet she was so articulate that the audience was sold. And honestly it was the best answer of the night and it kinda frustrates me she waited so long to get into pageantry. With a slight nose job, her curriculum and her communication skills she would have been a hit in Miss World.

| FINAL WALK |

This was the one moment in the night where everyone just stopped and took a second to say goodbye to our queen. Our phoenix who to us will always be a Miss Universe and who helped us rise from the ashes all the way to the Top 5. She gave us what we had lost back, her personality made us all fall in love with her. The reality is that Kiara is symbolic of so much as Miss Universe Puerto Rico in a post Maria island, I don’t know a single person who dislikes Kiara. It’s a moment that its just best to let it speak for itself because it’s just… honestly it’s just something else.

| FINAL LOOK |

I honestly believe this one of the best final looks in pageants, the camera angles as well as the scenography was honestly superb. The color palette and music matched every girl and I have to say that they all shined, they all looked beautiful. Camuy again just screams Supra to me for some reason but I have to say that Toa Baja was the one in that portion. Madison walked with such elegance, confidence and quite honestly determination that you are basically sitting there like “Woah”. Nobody could hold a candle next to Madison during this segment and this was the moment Madison got a lot of support back. I remember my mom saying “In all the videos you’ve showed me, this girl hasn’t trip or messed up once” and she is actually right. Besides her stumbles in a question I think that is the first time that I’ve even seen her stumble to be honest. Her final walk was to me a Miss Universe level walk, it has all the attributes needed for international judges to say “this is the one”. Camuy also had a pretty amazing walk too, she was very confident and seductive and to be honest I think that she could come back when she’s older. She needs much training to handle her nerves when answering a question and perhaps more training in answering. San Sebastian gave a good walk but again I feel like this is a Tamaryn Green dejavu, I just don’t believe she belongs there. But for what is worth she did a pretty good final look that could stand on its own and she didn’t let herself be demolished by Camuy nor Toa Baja.

| THE FINAL RESULTS |

The results were pretty expected at this point of the night, at least in the venue, yet when it happened basically everyone who was team Madison lost their mind. Me included. People were kind of disappointed because Camuy was only the second runner up but let’s be both strategic AND objective here. Her Q&A plus Final Look score HAD to be lower than the other two, sorry but it HAD to be lower, so that’s the objective side. In the strategic side, the reality is that Madison has a VERY high chance of winning that Mikimoto crown… like pretty big. So it is not strategically it wouldn’t make sense to put a potential Miss Universe in the position of 1st Runner Up to another potential Miss Universe. What if Madison wins? We won’t get to see Fabiola participate again, because she would have to assume the Miss Universe Puerto Rico 2019 for the remainder months. So I rather have San Sebastian as Miss Puerto Rico Universe for a couple than to lose the potential of a good candidate. But anyways, the right woman won and she didn’t just win that day because no pageant is as simple as that. She was the best in the preliminary competition, swimsuit competition, evening competition and final look, sorry. She has been consistent and it’s honestly the most prepared and the most strategic choice for us. Now for an expectator’s side, I can tell you this was such an adrenaline rush that I had actually never experienced pageantry-wise. It’s really not the same to watch your favorite girl win on television than in real life, being right there is very exciting. The moment they were going to start the announcements I looked to Madison’s family who were all anxiously hopeful and waiting and I then I bowed my head (legit). I had to because it is actually not that fun to have that much adrenaline, people, or maybe The Duchess is a wuss. Perhaps is both but anyhow I bowed my head and just send as many good vibes as I possibly could, because even then it was scary. And when we heard “Miss Toa Baja” literally the majority of people were on their feet yelling their lungs out. I think I hugged someone from Madison’s team; I kept yelling… people, it was very extra, I looked at Madison family who was yelling; a young family member crying. It was honestly stressful but I think…

….I think I’d do it again hahahaha.

What can I say? It’s honestly quite exhilarating to see your favorite contestant succeeds in that way, I can see why people watch Miss Universe. Hell, even I would watch it live if I had enough money and I could handle enough emotion to see Madison get our 6th crown. BUT at the end of the day The Duchess is just a poor senior college student who doesn’t have the means to do so. So she will have to watch it in her living room, and she will be right there celebrating with some popcorn and the flag I hang next to my door. I don’t know about the world, Madison, but I can assure you I believe you will make us VERY proud in your year of reign.

So this was my review of the Miss Universe Puerto Rico 2019 pageant as both a missosologist and an Spectator. Hope you enjoyed my review and that you follow my girl for the rest of the year, and there is a lot of The Duchess to come for 2019 for in about a month it will be the 10th Anniversary as a pageant fanatic. So this is going to be an exciting year.

See you around, Misso.

The Duchess
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 01 Sep 1995
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Costume Design
Hobbies/Interests: Arts, Music, Literature

Re: THE DUCHESS REVIEWS | MISS UNIVERSE PUERTO RICO 2019 |

Postby e_maris » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 am

Absolutely love it. I agree with most things. The opening was superb with one of our best salsa exponents in the world with El Gran Combo, it was definitely a huge deal and a perfect song for the event, "The Queen". Just perfect.

The freaking visuals for the candidates presentation was divineeee! I was so impressed! I felt it very Miss Universe caliber, I was so excited and proud!
[youtube]-tSjX481oso[/youtube]

And the other visuals of the girls were also very impressive and beautiful, it was a job well done.

The music for both the SS and EG were perfect as well, I loved it. Specially the final look song, I have always loved Cultura Profética and ILLEGAL, OMG I couldn't even believe they chose that song, I was dying. :!!

As for the whole performances of the girls, I also saw Madison dominate both SS and EG rounds, with Camuy following closely. But I honestly did see San Sebastián close in those first 3 positions. I had San Sebastián as 1st RU in my final top, and it's because of what I saw from her in the preliminary, because I honestly didn't like her, I was not a fan of her beauty, but I did see her performance in the preliminary as very strong, she has a strong stage presence and really distracts from the fact that she's not facially stunning, I knew she would get away with that with her imposing presence on stage, it's what we call "mareo". And knowing she would get to the top 6 easily, I also knew she would be one of the best at the Q&A portion, so that's why I finally placed her as 1st RU.

As for Madison, I totally agree with you in everything, the way she managed the situation definitely was more of a plus than it being negative to her. But I got to admit, I was in the same situation than you, I thought she was gonna be cut short at that moment, I didn't analyze everything at the moment and only focused on the boo's. When she was called to the top 3 I screamed just like I did when Kiara made the cut. lol Then I understood perfectly why she made it, she was obviously ahead of the pack in points, she placed 1st in both SS and EG rounds, and she did actually answer the question that was done to her, plus the way she managed herself proved that she was ready to stand in front of any audience and had the temper to work with any situation, and after her last answer and final look, to me it was obvious she was gonna win.
e_maris
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 02 Jan 1990
Profession: Ambassador
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Snake
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty Pageants, Sports, Arts.

Postby krissynelli » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:24 am

MISS CAMUY SHOULD'VE WON. =O/ SHE'S THE FACE OF MISS PR 2019. NICE (FACE) FRAME. SLENDER VS BODY. GOOD CHEEKBONE. NO FATTY CHEEKS. AN INSTANT FRONTRUNNER. JUDGES HAVE POOR TASTE. >:)
YO SOY PUERTO RICO!... HALF PUERTO RICAN / HALF "KIKI" VENDOR
krissynelli
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.
SUPER STARS are POPULAR or CHARISMATIC posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: krissylicious
Date of Birth: 22 May 1978
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: MAQUILLAGE
Western Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: DILDOING, CATFIGHTS, WITCHCRAFT AND SORCERY
Message: NAMASTE!!! APAKABAR!!! SAWASDEE!!! MABUHAY!!! OLAH!!! BONJOU!!! ALOHA!!!

Postby LonFlores » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:43 am

DREAM ON. Hype Hype Hype. Honey, if you have to justify the win, it means one thing, the win is not fair and square.
LonFlores
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: Lon Flores
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1990
Profession: Artist
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: Surfing

Postby The Duchess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am

krissynelli wrote:MISS CAMUY SHOULD'VE WON. =O/ SHE'S THE FACE OF MISS PR 2019. NICE (FACE) FRAME. SLENDER VS BODY. GOOD CHEEKBONE. NO FATTY CHEEKS. AN INSTANT FRONTRUNNER. JUDGES HAVE POOR TASTE. >:)

Whaat it everyone's rush to crown Camuy? She's not ready for a Miss Universe, she needs more pageant experience plus life experience. And she NEEDS training in the Q&A portion because while Madison can construct coherently in English im afraid Camuy still needs gets to nervious to construct coherent thought.

What you talking about slender body when last year the slender frames didnt even win?
The Duchess

Postby hrexen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:48 am

krissynelli wrote:MISS CAMUY SHOULD'VE WON. =O/ SHE'S THE FACE OF MISS PR 2019. NICE (FACE) FRAME. SLENDER VS BODY. GOOD CHEEKBONE. NO FATTY CHEEKS. AN INSTANT FRONTRUNNER. JUDGES HAVE POOR TASTE. >:)

Camuy was beautiful but I had the opportunity ta see the whole pageant once available here... That lady would have been eaten alive by the competition in Miss Universe. She needs yearsof training in terms of Q&A. But she is beautiful indeed and very young! In 3-4 years with good training she wouldn't have competition to be a Miss Universe. Not even a well trained asian. She is just too tall and fresh!
hrexen
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 21 Jan 1986
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Profession: Student
Hobbies/Interests: Run and read

Postby The Alchemist » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 pm

You have a good rep Duchess but she is also very cookie-cutter. Very Miss USA from blonde to toe.
So the challenge is how to find her identity. She doesn’t scream Puerto Rico. She doesn’t even connect to Ricans, does she?
The Alchemist
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.
PAGEANT APPRENTICES are novice experts & connoisseurs.

Real Life Name/Nick: Mar
Date of Birth: 15 Jul 1984
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Traveler
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Hobbies/Interests: Traveling

Postby The Duchess » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:14 pm

The Alchemist wrote:You have a good rep Duchess but she is also very cookie-cutter. Very Miss USA from blonde to toe.
So the challenge is how to find her identity. She doesn’t scream Puerto Rico. She doesn’t even connect to Ricans, does she?

There's plenty of puertorricans who can connect and identify with her, puertorricans who are not always represented; the reason why people don't think she "screams" Puerto Rico is because they believe there's a specific mold to being or looking Puertorrican. And that's just innacurate. I can understand foreigners having this thought because they don't live here but Puertorricans talking about she doesn't "look" Puertorrican ect is absolutely insane to me. There's not one specific way to "scream" or "identify" as Puertorrican.
The Duchess

Postby TheGenuineBeauty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:34 am

I’m just gonna say you are the reason shampoo has instructions.

Congratulations Duchess you just made my entire week with that comment =;)) =;)) =;))

But other than that, this was a very interesting read and I can't wait to see the other side of you come out. I agree with pretty much everything you've said although I believe that Aguada and Arecibo should have been in the Top 10 instead of Toa Alta and San Sebastian, but I got points for correctly predicting Aguada and Arecibo's placements so I am not too mad lol. I also think that Morovis, Loiza and Villalba deserved to be in the Top 6 instead of Carolina, San Sebastian and Cayey.

The booing is an example of hypocrisy at its finest. But haters gonna hate and we have an amazing queen in Madison who will do amazing at Miss Universe.
PUERTO RICO REBORN

2018: Kiara Ortega (Top 5)
2019: Madison Anderson (1st RU)
2020: Estefania Soto (Top 10)
2021: Michelle Colon (Top 10)
2022: Ashley Cariño (TBA)
TheGenuineBeauty
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 24 Jul 1996
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: Reading
Message: Promote what you love instead of attacking what you hate.

Postby alex sivixay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:02 am

That is a good write up
I love Madison so much and my gut is telling me she has the most potential to be Miss Universe even compare to Paweensuda tbh, her strength is her universal face and beauty. I just can't with people saying she is not beautiful she is a goddess
alex sivixay
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: alex sivixay
Date of Birth: 16 Jul 1997
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: students
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: chatting

Postby purplesay » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 am

Always enjoy reading your posts duchess!

"I’m more of a Julian Gil kinda girl anyways."

Same fam, same
purplesay

Date of Birth: 05 Jul 1987
Profession: Professor finishing up the doctorate
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking

Return to Miss Universe