03: Stella Coutts (Durban)

FINALISTS
Barbara Freeman (Pietermaritzburg)
Greta Eva (Kimberley)
Helena van der Linde (East London)
Joy Williams (Port Elizabeth)
Leonora Murray (Pretoria)
Sylvia Morgan (Bloemfontein)

Cathy Higgins was "Miss South Africa" in 1952 she went to the USA after the competition in Johannesburg
In 1952, Outspan magazine and African Consolidated Theatres started a contest to find an entrant for the first Miss Universe pageant that year. Catherine (Cathy) Higgins, a short-hand typist from Johannesburg, won the contest. She participated in Long Beach, California, where she was place 7th and voted by the other contestants as Miss Friendly Spirit.
The first (1952) Miss U pageant
It helps if we take a misty-eyed flashback on the very first Miss Universe pageant in 1952 held in Long Beach, California, won by Finland’s Armi Helena Kuusela who married a Filipino, the late Virgilio Hilario, with their beautiful love story made into a movie. Like Armi, the first (1962) Miss International Stella Marquez of Colombia, also got hitched to a Filipino, Jorge Araneta, making Filipino men the world’s greatest lovers. While Madame Stella has stayed in the country for good, Armi, after Virgilio’s death, found a new love in the person of a brilliant politician from whom she eventually separated and, when last heard from, settled happily ever after in San Diego, California.

According to Funfare’s “other beauty expert” Celso de Guzman Caparas, “The Miss Universe pageant, along with the Miss USA pageant, was established in 1952 when Catalina withdrew its swimsuit sponsorship from Miss America pageant after 1951 winner Yolande Margaret Betbeze, a convent-bred contestant, refused to pose in swimsuit for publicity pictures. The coronation night was held on June 28, 1952 at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium with 30 in competition.”

Runners-up to Armi Helena Kuusela were: Elza Kananionapua Edsman of Hawaii; Daisi Mavraki, Greece; Judy Dan, Hong Kong; and Renate Hoy, Germany. The semi-finalists were: Olga Llorens Pérez Castillo, Mexico; Catherine Edwina Higgins, South Africa; Anne Marie Tistler, Sweden; Gladys Rubio Fajardo, Uruguay; and Jacqueleen Loughery, USA.
http://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2 ... -u-pageant

The first top 10 semifinalists at Miss Universe 1952 were announced! They were delegates from Finland, Germany, Greece, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Mexico, South Africa, Sweden, USA, and Uruguay!

Last edited by Lanelk on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lanelk
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Real Life Name/Nick: ??????????
Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1914
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: none
Hobbies/Interests: reading

Re: South Africa at Miss Universe 1952-1997

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:15 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1953- Miss Golden Jubilee

Ingrid Rita Mills (De Haast)
02: Una de Beer (East London)
03: Catherine Higgins (Johannesburg) (Represented South Africa at Miss Universe 1952)

FINALISTS
Ingrid Sonnenberg (Durban)
Joy Williams (Port Elizabeth)
Louise van Jaarsveld (Pretoria)
? (Bloemfontein)
? (Bulawayo)
? (Cape Town)
? (Kimberley)

She was later in her life a successful glass Artist in Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa, but is now living in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa, where she is still working (Here latest blog enty, as to date, is 21 September 2016. She also had a role in a Hollywood film. She was crowned in May 1953. Her runner-up was Una de Beer (Miss East London). Ingrid participated as Miss Salisbury, but she was born in East London, South Africa.

She was in the Top 16 at Miss Universe 1953.
South Africa has not send any contestants during the period 1954-1959.

From her own blog:http://glassbeads.co.za/2013/blog/
The year was 1953 – not in my wildest imagination did I have any idea of what the year would bring me. Going to England to see the Coronation, going to New York and staying at the Waldorf Astoria, then being whisked off to Long Beach, California where the Miss Universe competition was held.
When it was announced that I was accorded the title of Miss SA (as Ingrid Mills) it wasn’t in a hall or I wasn’t crowned or had any type of audience. In my day the African Consolidated Theatres were the owner of the Miss Universe/Miss South Africa programme.
Let me start at the beginning.
I lived in Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe) and I was taking a modeling course. There were two schools in Salisbury at the time. However I was persuaded by the school to enter the competition. I did not have any aspirations in that way, but I thought it was good fun.
I duly did my parading on the stage holding my No. 6.
In the middle of the heats, I had to go down to Cape Town for my sister’s wedding. My father had an Austin and we duly drove down, taking a few days in which to do it in. Mr. Moffat the manager of the theatre at the time, was not pleased to see me go off in the middle of the heats, however he said as long as I returned in time for the finals it would be ok.
There was I in Cape Town, with hardly any spare money, except for some money that my boyfriend at the time (it was at the time of the Mau Mau emergency and the young guys came down to Salisbury to train) had given me air fare to fly to Kenya, as he was hoping that I would join him there soon. I had to use that money and promised myself that I would repay it as soon as I could.
The plane was a DC prop job. It took all day to fly back to Salisbury – I had to be on the stage that night for the finals.
Nothing daunted I did my parading and guess what? I was announced the winner, being awarded the sash of Miss Salisbury. Rhodesia was too small to have their own beauty competition, so we were incorporated into South Africa at the time. There was a Miss Bulawayo too.
I was feted by everyone, having my photograph taken with all the big wigs at the time. My only problem was I did not have too many clothes for the festivities that I was told that would be organized in Johannesburg. The head of the modelling school was so pleased that one of her girls had won, that she was only too delighted to lend me some of her outfits.
In Johannesburg the judging was held at Killarney Studios – we were made to stand and talk in front of cameras to see if we had “histrionic promise” and we had various teas where various judges sounded us out as to how we behaved in public, to see if we could hold a reasonable conversation and generally to see if we were “ladies”! We attended rugby games – where we were introduced to all the players, we drove to all the other towns on the reef, and all this was done by being driven about in Morris Minors!
We had a week of this and on Sunday when we were due to fly back to our various centres, I was told that my plane seat was given to an urgent case, I was very disappointed at the time, but my chaperon whispered that she thought I was going to be announced as Miss South Africa. Where was all the fanfare?
Monday morning I duly presented myself to Mr. Stodel the manager of the ACT and he calmly said, “Congratulations you are Miss South Africa.” I just did not feel anything as it seemed such a let down, with no one else around to hear the news.
However after that everything happened.
I was taken to the dentist (nothing needed to be done) to check to see whether my teeth were straight. Nothing like a crooked mouth full of teeth to spoil a good smile. Then to the hairdresser where I was minutely checked out, fortunately they did not cut my hair! I was given a facial, manicure etc.
My next biggest visit was to the courturier who was making my Miss South Africa dress! I must say that the work they did on the dress was beautiful, hand-sewn pearls designed in the form of proteas etc. The dress weighed 20 lbs, as I had to have a heavy petticoat to keep the designs getting covered by the folds of the satin [pic below]. I also had to have a big ostrich feather fan!

For my prizes I was given various items like small tables, rugs, jewelry boxes, shoes and a wardrobe of clothes. In those days – no cars were presented!

My big prize was a trip to London to see the Coronation from the balcony of the Dorchester which included lunch and tea!
While in London I had to do my Miss South Africa bit by distributing Outspan oranges to children in various schools in the East End of London! Other visits I made were to various film studios where I was photographed with film stars like David Niven, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Edwards and so on. I also attended fashion shows where wool was being used in the garments paraded for us [pics].
While in London I was on the “Tonite” show where I met such luminaries like Elizabeth Arden, Laurence Olivier etc! While in England I went to various hairdressers, and unfortunately they cut my hair. (Big mistake) as I learned later!
At last I was due to fly to New York to stay at the Waldorf Astoria where I was introduced to all the European Misses, e.g. Turkey, Switzerland. Sweden, Norway etc. We appeared on various tv shows “Ed Murrow show” the biggest talking show at the time! We stayed for about 4 days at the Waldorf Astoria before flying off to Long Beach where the contest was being held.
When we arrived in Long Beach we had to wear our national costumes and all we had on the plane to change into our clothes was the tiny toilet room. Remember my dress weighed 20 lbs.
We all took turns to stand at the top of the stairs to pose for a picture, and we had to appear alphabetically [pic]. Miss Sweden always tried to get in front of me?!!!
We were whisked off to the hotel where more photographs were taken. At last we had a chance to relax and we were allowed to take a rest at the hotel! My first thought was to make a booking for a trip to West Virginia where my aunt and uncle lived, as after the competition I was going to spend some time with them.
We had to practice going up and down the ramp with our swim suit costumes and Evening Ball gowns and then our National costumes. We also had to make a small speech about our countries! I was in a quandary as although I came from Rhodesia I was representing South Africa! I cant remember what I said at the time, but eventually it was all over and Miss France (Christiane Martel) won the title.
So I thought that was that, so I went along to the airline booking office to confirm my flight and while I was there Jeff Chandler -one of the judges came up to me and said “I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry if I were you” he said he couldn’t say much at this stage, but asked me to delay my flight.
When all the prizes were read out, the five winners were awarded week to week contracts, but I was awarded a 3 month contract by Universal studios – I was taken aback, but I thought here was another adventure!
We were taken to the Studio Club in Hollywood where all the starlets of the different studios stayed. I shared a room with Miss Australia. We had to be ready at 5 am to be driven to the studios to make a short film with two stars, we were costumed in Hawaiian outfits. Every morning when we were not filming we had to be at the studios where we were taught dancing, acting and we also had to take riding lessons.
After awhile we were told we were going to take part in a big film with Jeff Chandler and Rhonda Fleming. Our costumes were the Harem girls! We were kitted out in our gowns and of course numerous photographs were taken on the lots (out door sets) The film was called “Yankee Pasha“. [pics]

We didn’t spend all our time at the studios, we were also invited to parties where we would meet all the other stars. Some of the stars we met were Peter Lawford, James Mason, Tony Curtis, Shelly Winters, Rock Hudson and a few more whom I cannot remember at this time.
Miss Australia (Maxine Morgan) and I went around together when we were not at the studios. We wanted to drive down (Maxine bought an old studebaker) to Tijuana but the studio would not allow us to go as they were responsible for us! We did the usual shopping, and visited all the usual places where the stars were, but on the whole we were kept rather busy at the studios. If it wasn’t dancing classes, it was acting and keeping fit as well.
A lot of the time we were posing for photographs, and then again we used to go riding! I had never really been on a horse until I went to Hollywood but I soon seemed to pick it up. All new starlets at Universal had to be available at all times, as they used us to test out new film-making ideas, and this of course got us used to being behind the camera. I thought I would enjoy all this, but the waiting around between takes was so boring. When one is a big star you get your own space, but we had to just sit around and await our turn to be called.
I enjoyed staying at the studio club because there were so many different girls from all over the world staying there. But as time went by, I realized this was not the sort of life I wanted to live. I missed the people back home in Salisbury and decided after 2 months in Hollywood to give it up and return to Rhodesia.
One regret I have is that I had not given it enough time to develop my talents, but I guess that is all water under the bridge.
PS: completely unrelated, but I found this funny piece of 1953 trivia: Sean Connery, 3rd place in Mr Universe 1953 :)
When I was awarded the Miss South Africa title in 1953, I was not given a crown like the Miss World winners are awarded these days. I was in the Miss Universe group, there was no Miss World in those days in South Africa.
However today at a recreation of that time, I had been given a special crown through a recollection of those memories by a very special photographer Angie Lazaro.
We got together in a photo studio down town Cape Town where Angie had created the whole scene, made the crown, made the proteas, and created the Zulu shield, all the fronds of the ostrich feather fan which I had carried off the plane in those far-off days and set the whole scene. (photos in due course) come back again to my blog.
Of course I am in the middle of packing up and sorting out all my worldly goods to move up to Kwa-Zulu Natal. Separating the different glass rods into their own families, is quite exhausting, but of course it has to be done. However I do not know when I will be able to settle down to my torch again. I can only study my various work books and hope to keep a fresh outlook for the day when I can sit in front of my torch again.
I had a appointment with a friend who was coming into my studio this afternoon. I had left the photo shoot in plenty of time, BUT would you believe it, there was such a hold up on the freeway on the way home. We were nose to tail most of the way, The minutes were ticking by, and would you believe it, I got home a few minutes after our arranged time. I had mislaid her cell number so I could not apologise, however maybe tomorrow will sort this out.

I got some great publicity in a community magazine called Get It recently…(2008).

INGRID DE HAAST – SOMERSET WEST’S GOLDEN BEAUTY.
“True beauty is certainly more than skin deep. What’s inside you must be beautiful too.
You’ve got to be warm, enthusiastic, passionate about life.”
So says Ingrid de Haast of Somerset West, whose natural beauty made her one of the first Miss South Africa’s. She was crowned in 1953 and today, at the age of 74, she still has the beautiful skin, hair and figure that make her a contender for the Miss Universe title. But more importantly, she exudes a zest for life that radiates from within.
As a naïve 19 year old she won the Miss South Africa crown and with it a three month contract at Universal Studios in Hollywood. She appeared as an extra in two films and met many of the stars of that time, among them Gregory Peck, Tony Curtis and David Niven. “The Hollywood life was glamorous, but it was not for me,” says Ingrid, who was happy to return home to a year of modeling, public engagements and the second highlight of her reign – attending the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
In November 2007, 54 years later, Ingrid set aside her role of mother and grandmother and took on the mantle of beauty queen again. She led the parade of 33 former Miss South Africas at the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Miss South Africa pageant. She wore a perfectly-fitting turquoise gown created specially for her by Cape Town designer, Kobus Dippenaar. She and Bill, her husband of 53 years, spent a luxurious weekend at The Palace hotel, enjoying every part of the preparations and then the glittering pageant itself.
While her past experiences may have been glamorous and exciting, Ingrid is quick to point out that her life at present is even more exciting. What does she put this down to?
It’s my passion for glass,” says Ingrid. “I’m a member of the International society of Glass Bead Artists and one of a handful of South African glass artists. For me, it is one of the most creative and personally fulfilling art forms. I love colour and am inspired by the beauty of flowers and the combination of colours in Nature. To re-create that in glass is my purpose and my challenge.”
For over 20 years Ingrid made her name as a potter. For many of those years she longed to work in glass, but could not find a local teacher. Eventually she sold all her pottery equipment to fund a trip to Johannesburg to do her first course in glass beading. And a whole new world opened up for her.
Ingrid demonstrates the intricate process involved in creating the beautiful translucent beads. All the glass rods are imported from America and the names are as delightful as the colours – Caramel Lustre, Tequila Sunrise, Jupiter – and even Elvis, a deep-glowing red. She wears special glasses when working with the gas-fired torch, making the glass as soft as honey, deftly twisting the strands of colour together, adding layer upon layer.
Special tools are used to make decorative effects and before one’s very eyes the rods of glass become miniature gardens, delicate hearts, exotic leaves. The beads are placed in a kiln at a temperature of 590 degrees Celcius and then allowed to cool. Ingrid’s enthusiasm for her work is infectious. “I can’t wait to come into my studio every morning to open up the kiln to see each unique bead I made the day before.” They are then carefully cleaned and inspected for flaws and then assembled into beautiful necklaces and bracelets or made into letter openers, wine bottle stoppers or essential oil vessels.
“It’s all about heat and gravity,” explains Ingrid. “And also timing and patience. You cannot rush things – the glass takes its own time.” She also stresses the need for practice. “You cannot master these techniques in a day. But even if you make mistakes, nothing is wasted. You have learnt by it and the beads that are not perfect can be crushed into tiny pieces called frit, which are then be added to other beads to give variety and interest.”
The demands of working in glass provide Ingrid with constant stimulation. She travels to America every year to attend courses to advance her skills and regularly searches the Internet for inspiration from other glass bead artists. A Christmas gift of a portable DVD player means that she can follow the instructions from world class teachers while she works in her own studio. The opportunity to be learning, experimenting and mastering new techniques is what keeps Ingrid fascinated by this art form.
Apart from benefiting from thoroughly enjoying her work in the glass studio, Ingrid’s zest for life is a consequence of her disciplined and healthy habits. Three times a week at 6.30 am she sets off at a brisk pace to walk a 6 km route, including some uphill stretches.
She then eats a breakfast of homemade granola, packed full of omega-rich seeds, with yoghurt. Lunch is the main meal of the day and supper is always light. Ingrid’s enviably slim figure is proof that her eating and exercise plan is one that makes -and keeps – her fit and healthy.
She attributes her beautiful skin to good genes inherited from her grandmother, but has a disciplined skin care routine. “I never cleanse my face with water, only creams, but I do not use the most expensive products on the market. I use a Vitamin E cream every day on the eye area,” says Ingrid.
Inspiring, enthusiastic, patient, caring. These are all words that describe Ingrid de Haast. They make her more beautiful than her lovely features. It is, as she says, the beauty that comes from within that makes the difference.
INFORMATION ON INGRID
Favourite colours: pinks and amethyst
Most creative time of the day: the afternoons
Relaxes by: watching the soaps
Favourite movie star: Greer Garson
Favourite restaurant: 96 Winery Rd
What she’d order: Fish
Can’t live without: the Internet.
Beauty tip: remove all make up before you go to bed. And drink plenty of water.
in 2007
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:20 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1960- Hibiscus Queen 1960

Nicolette (Nickey) Caras (Verwey)
02: Heather Makein
03: Gwenythe Griggs

FINALISTS
Angela Cironie
Dolores Davis
Elizabeth Vermeulen
Leonie Steyn
Moira Weir

She married Bobby Verwey, the pro-golfer. 3rd Runner-up at Miss Universe 1960
Nicky Caras (also Nicolette and Nicki) of Johannesburg was South Africa’s 1960 Hibiscus Queen and, as a result, became the country’s entrant in that year’s Miss Universe competition. She ended as third runner-up, with Italian actress-to-be Daniela Bianchi chosen as first runner-up.
Upon her return she appeared in three South African films: Die Tweede Slaapkamer (Gordon Vorster/1961), Jy’s Lieflik Vanaand (Gordon Vorster/1962) and Gevaarlike Spel (Al Debbo/1962).
Frank Robert Verwey (born 21 January 1941) is a South African professional golfer. Verwey was born in Johannesburg and is the son of former South African PGA champion Jock Verwey. He is also the brother-in-law of South African golf legend Gary Player, who is married to his sister, Vivienne.

Verwey won the 1962 German Open and the 1965 Almaden Open Invitational on the PGA Tour. He was a member of the European Tour from 1978 to 1980. He won several professional tournaments in his home country and represented South Africa in the World Cup in 1978 and 1980.
Verwey was 50 years, 5 months and 23 days old when he won the Senior British Open Championship becoming the youngest player to ever win that event. He was a regular on the European Seniors Tour for the first few years after its establishment in 1992, and finished in the top ten on the Order of Merit four times.

Top 5 from 1960: Spain (5th), Austria (3rd), USA (winner), Italy (2nd), and South Africa (4th)
1st runner-up Daniela Bianchi ITALY 2nd runner-up Elizabeth Hodacs AUSTRIA 3rd runner-up Nicolette Caras S. AFRICA 4th runner-up Ma.Teresa del Rio SPAIN
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1961- Hibiscus Queen 1961

Marina Christelis- unplaced at Miss Universe 1961
02: Elizabeth Taylor
03: Delmarie Bekker

FINALISTS
Betty Uys
Denyse Boyd-Moss
Gerda Schmidt
Marina Theunissen

Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:43 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1962- Hibiscus Queen 1962

Lynette Gamble (winner) - unplaced at Miss Universe 1962
02: Hazel Baker
03: Aletta Strydom

FINALISTS
Betsy Hecter
Denise Strydom
Kathy de Jager
Sue Bezuidenhout

“American food is the worst, men are insensible and simple, the women clothes are silly and the Miss Universe Pageant held in Miami is a fiasco” expressed Lynette Gamble, Miss South Africa (above), when she go back her country said “Miss Argentina triumph is a political issue” and added “personally I think the real winner is Judith Mazor, Miss Israel (below)

Miss South Africa, Lynette Gamble, claimed that the Miss Universe pageant came closer to a "cattle contest than a beauty competition. There were so many wolves about, these contest girls have a fight to keep away from them."
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:25 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1963- Hibiscus Queen 1963

01: Ellen Liebenberg - Top 15 at Miss Universe 1963
02: Gail Robinson (winner 1964)
03: Pamela Gibbs

FINALISTS
Gillian Weston-Hall
Magdalena Reitz
Merle Vermaak

At Miss Universe 1963

On 7 December 1963, Jannie Engelbrecht, a Springbok rugby player, who represented his country from 1960 to 1969, married the Namibian Ellen Liebenberg in Windhoek. Earlier that year Ellen had won the Hibiscus Queen beauty pageant and in July was a semi-finalist at the Miss Universe competition in Miami Beach, Florida. Their children include Angeline (daughter), Jean (son), and Magdeline (daughter). The couple divorced in 2004 after he had had an extra-marital affair.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:25 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1964- Hibiscus Queen 1964

01: Gail Robinson (Runner-up 1963)- Unplaced at Miss Universe 1964
02: Maureen van Niekerk
03: Poppet Meiring

FINALISTS

Beverley Hillhouse
Esme Bronkhorst
Janet East
Marjorie Slater-Kinghorn
Maureen Bam
Stephne Bakkes

At Miss Universe 1964
Elegant: Former Hibiscus Queen, Gail Kirchman (nee Robinson).
Gail Robinson, SA's entry at the 1964 Miss Universe pageant, took 20 days to get to Miami.

Celebration: Former Hibiscus Queen, Gail Kirchman (Robinson) and her husband Brian celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at Margate Hotel.
Fifty years later…The couple was treated once again by Margate Hotel.-December 7, 2015

IT was a walk down memory lane for the former Hibiscus Queen, Gail Kirchman (nee Robinson) and her husband, Brian who recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Mrs Kirchman was crowned Miss Hibiscus in 1964 in Margate and went on to represent South Africa in the Miss Universe contest in Miami Beach USA later the same year.
When Gail married her husband, Brian, in 1965 two of the sponsors of the Miss Hibiscus contest gave them a honeymoon stay at the Margate Hotel as a wedding gift.
The Kirchmans, who live in Johannesburg, recently visited the South Coast and this time Margate Hotel treated them.
Their friends Dawn and Colin Steyn of Southbroom joined them in a celebratory dinner.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:53 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1965- Hibiscus Queen 1965

01: Veronika Edelgarda Hilda Prigge- Top 15 at Miss Universe 1965 (married to Gavin Patrick Donaldson in 1970 (he passed away in March 2016) and they have 2 children (Andrew 1972 and Richard 1974)
02: Shirley Bestbier
03: Stephanie Buys

FINALISTS
Cheryl Coetzee
Dawn Mannix
Margaret Wirtz
Penny Kellet

Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:19 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1966- Hibiscus Queen 1966

01: Lynn Carol de Jager- unplaced at Miss Universe 1966
02: Kathryn Wilson
03: Carol Sharp

FINALISTS
Hazel Stewart
Ingrid Buhr
Maryn Hattingh

At Miss Universe 1966
South Africa, New Zealand and Colombia

Former model loses home in fire KWAZULU NATAL / 25 May 2015, ZAINUL DAWOOD - http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... re-1862979
Durban - A former Miss Universe 1966 participant lost all her possessions when a fire destroyed her home in Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road on Sunday.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, which started at 1pm, and the cause is yet to be determined. The homeowner, Lynn Carol De Jager, her tenants living in an out-building and five dogs escaped unhurt.
De Jager, who represented South Africa at the Miss Universe contest in Miami Beach, said she was gardening when she noticed smoke coming out of the lounge window.
“I shouted to my tenants for help. I got to the doorway and could see the flames in the passage and next thing we were engulfed with smoke. One of the tenants tried to douse the flames with a garden hose but the fire kept spreading,” she said.
Neighbour Reggie Moodaliar said he saw smoke coming from the house and began screaming to other neighbours for help
“The house and pavement were engulfed in black smoke. You could not see past your hand. The flames were huge. I saw a car parked in the driveway. A few bystanders managed to pry the sliding gate open and we broke the window and pushed the car out onto the road to safety,” Moodaliar said.
Later, when the Daily News arrived for an interview, De Jager looked devastated as she stepped onto the veranda to see the ruins.
“I doubt I can salvage anything. I lost my mother’s antiques and family memorabilia and scrapbooks of pictures left behind by my father,” she said.
Durban North uMhlanga Crisis team, Christy Holmes, and Anthony Wilmot, who were passing the blaze at the time, scrambled to assist after seeing the fire. Holmes said they took De Jager out of the yard and helped her recuperate at a neighbouring flat. Holmes said five dogs on the property were caught.
“The intense heat caused the dogs to hide in the backyard. We found them and arranged for them to be placed at Kloof and Highway SPCA until the house is sorted out,” she said.
Rescue Care paramedic spokesman, Garrith Jamieson, confirmed one person was treated for smoke inhalation. The Durban Fire Department has not yet established the cause of the fire.
Meanwhile, Holmes is appealing for donations for the victim. Contact her at 072 372 6753.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1967- Hibiscus Queen 1967

01: Wendy Ballenden -Unplaced at Miss Universe 1967
02: Crystal Gow
03: Lynn Edwards

FINALISTS
Carol Ashley
Estelle Geldenhuys
Ingrid Bownes

credit to her own facebook page for all of these photos

See the blond man on the right?
He was my first husband (Captain Devil)from the picture story books. Actor, model & Computer expert. PETER BODLEY. All the other guys in picture were very interesting. Characters. Wonder who they were???

At Miss Universe 1967
15 Best in Swimsuit: Bolivia, Brazil, Denmark, England, Greece, Holland, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Korea, Peru, South Africa, Sweden, USA & Venezuela
in 2015
Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:27 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1968 - Miss Protea 1968

01: Monica Fairall - Unplaced at Miss Universe 1968 and Top 15 at Miss World 1971 as Miss South Africa 1971- See also Miss South Africa 1971 post under Miss South Africa 1956-2016
02: Christa Mentz
03: Marthie Posthumus

FINALISTS

Fern Gosling
Karen Brown
Magda Reitz
Odette Gupford
Patsy Goswell

At Miss Universe 1968
Top 15 in swimsuit

Monica Fairall passed away after a long battle with cancer on 21062009.
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:53 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1975 - Miss RSA 1975

01: Gail Anthony- Unplaced at Miss Universe 1975
02: Margaret Abrahams
03: Valda Marais

TOP 5
04: Veronica Geldenhuys
05: Renee Abrahams

FINALISTS
Caron Bruiders
Francis Klink

Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:08 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1976 - Miss RSA 1976

01: Cynthia Claasen- Unplaced at Miss Universe 1976
02: Ellen Peters (Miss Africa South 1973 and Top 15 at Miss World 1973)
03: Evelyn Williams (Miss Africa South 1974 and Top 15 at Miss World 1974)

TOP 5
04: Denise Wellen
05: Mymoena Salie

FINALISTS
Hendricka Rutgers
Jackie du Preez

At Miss Universe 1976
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1977 - Miss RSA 1977

01: Glynis Fester (Hayne)- unplaced at Miss Universe 1977
02: Wilma Oostendorp
03: Jennifer April

FINALISTS
Bernadette Titus
Deborah Ferreira
Liz Bunting
Thelma Apolles
Trudy Wyngaard
Vanessa Davids
Vivienne Craig

at Miss Universe 1977

She is now living in Australia

http://www.westsport.com.au/glynis/index.html
Won the Miss RSA title 7th May 1977
Glynis was born in Cape Town, South Africa on the 14 March 1958, the eldest daughter of Alfred and Marg Fester.
It was tumultuous times in South Africa as Glynis grew up with apartheid in full swing.
From a middle class background with both parents involved in education and business, Glynis had a happy childhood and paid little attention to political upheaval taking place around her. Although as a youngster she does remember feeling a little hurt and disappointed when she was told she was not able to buy an ice-cream at a kiosk as they did not serve coloureds or blacks. Another memory of the time she carries is being caught up in the riots of 1976 when on the way home from school she was a teenager and had to drive her father's car for the first time trying to avoid the riot police shooting at people running across the path of the car to safety.
Having what was a typical education for a person of her background Glynis went to Silverlea Primary School and then Athlone High School matriculating.
A fun loving girl, Glynis had an interest in sport from a very early age and was an athlete of note following in the footsteps of her father and was an A Grade and State hockey player. Glynis started ballet at a late age for any dancer that being fifteen years of age, but displayed an ability which saw her win the Senior Dance Section of the Cape Town Eisteddford only eighteen months after starting. Glynis attained her Royal Ballet Elementary Certificate 3 years later.
Glynis' big break came in 1977 when her father suggested she might like to enter a Miss Lovely Legs competition run by the Rapport Newspaper.
It's now all history as Glynis won this competition, went into the Miss RSA competition which she won and then represented South Africa at the 1977 Miss Universe Pageant held in the Dominican Republic. In what turned out to be a strange coincidence Glynis roomed with Miss Australia, Jill Minahan, with no idea she too would one day be proud to call Australia home.
After returning to South Africa, Glynis carried out her official duties as Miss RSA which saw her travel all over the country combining these with her attending the University of Cape Town where she studied ballet and dance. Unfortunately due to injury she was advised to give up dance as a career. A stint with the Moscow Circus was in the offering but a life as a gypsy was not something Glynis was really looking forward to and instead became the Public Relations Officer for one of Cape Town's five star hotels.
Unhappy with the political situation in South Africa and wanting to give their three children a better lifestyle, Glynis' parents decided to emigrate to Australia eventually settling in Emu Plains in 1980.
Then occurred what Glynis feels is the only sad chapter in her life in 1980 - an unhappy marriage and move to Queensland. However, this lasted a short time and Glynis returned to Sydney.
Quite by chance through her father Glynis met Doug Hayne a local school teacher and sports administrator and after a worldwind courtship, Glynis and Doug married on New Year's Even 1983 sharing their wedding day with Glynis' sister Natalie.
Originally a rugby union fan, Glynis was converted to Rugby League by husband Doug and is an ardent Panther fan. An activist for club reform, Glynis along with her husband Doug have campaigned to have more member participation in the decision making process of of their beloved Panthers' Club. As part of an awareness campaign, Glynis ran a team of women for the Panthers Board of Directors.
Involvement in the Western Week-ender newspaper led Glynis to be a contributor and to this day Glynis writes a weekly golf column. Glynis can play a mean game of golf and has a hole-in-one credited to her.
Her concern with a deteriorating law and order situation caused her to become involved in politics during the mid eighties. Glynis then stood for Federal Parliament in 1987.
Following husband Doug into Education Glynis became School Admin Manager in 1998. In recent times Glynis accepted a position as a Union Organiser with the Public Service Association looking after School Administrative Support Staff in the Northern Beaches, Bondi, Ryde areas. Glynis' movement to the union was not unexpected as over the year she had been involved in campaigning for the improved status and conditions of SAS staff. Glynis has since terminated her secondment and returned to her school. However, Glynis is frequently asked to take on other administration and management projects with the Department of Education and Training.
Glynis and Doug are both accomplished rosarians and have won many prizes at shows with their roses, their most recent successes being at the Royal Easter Show. Glynis is also the most senior female Rose Judge in New South Wales.
Glynis and Doug do not have children but enjoy their nephews and niece who are children of Glynis' siblings, Natalie and Robin.
Last edited by Lanelk on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:38 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1978 - Miss RSA 1978

01: Margaret Gardiner (Nel)- Miss Universe 1978

02: Lindy Kloppers- now married to Jack White- coach of the Springbok rugby world champions of 2007
03: Pat Malgas

TOP 5
04: Marilyn Albutt - 2nd runner-up Miss South Africa 1977 (See Miss South Africa 1956-2016)
05: Dawn Chapman

FINALISTS
Amanda Edwards
Cynthia Fabing
Gail Rocher- 1st runner-up Miss South Africa 1979 (See Miss South Africa 1956-2016)
Sonja Engelbrecht
Ursula Johnstone
Victoria Barthus
Yolanda Kloppers- Miss South Africa 1978 (See Miss South Africa 1956-2016)

At Miss Universe 1978

Credit to: http://daviddoddsinc.com/transition/transition-2.html for the 5 photo's above

taken on her 57th birthday (21August 2016)

She is currently a reporter and you can follow her on https://www.facebook.com/Margaret-Gardi ... 4/?fref=ts
Last edited by Lanelk on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:40 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1979 - Miss RSA 1979

01:Veronica Wilson- Top 12 at Miss Universe 1979
02: Gail Rocher (Jenman)- 1st runner-up Miss South Africa 1979
03: Evelyn Williams- Miss Africa South 1974 and Top 15 Miss World
04: Lindy Kloppers (White)- 1st runner-up Miss RSA 1978
05: Alison Goodey

FINALISTS
Anrita Collard
Beverley Botha
Bridget Versteld
Carole Misdorp
Charmaine Botha
Claudie van Breda
Daleen van Maanen
Desire Taylor
Elizabeth Neilson
Jacqui van Straaten
Jenny Kay (Swire)- Miss RSA 1980
Mandy Kitching
Melanie Fick
Moira Esterhuizen (Miss Personality)
Monique Hare- 1st runner-up Miss South Africa 1978
Othene Dempers
Patricia Whittington
Rosemary Francis
Sandra Scholtz

Top 12 at Miss Universe 1979

Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 am

South Africa NOT at Miss Universe 1980 - Miss RSA 1980

Miss Universe 1980, the 29th Miss Universe pageant, was held on 8 July 1980 at the Sejong Cultural Center in Seoul, Korea. Shawn Weatherly of the US crowned by Maritza Sayalero of Venezuela. Sixty-nine contestants competed in this year. Jenny KAY, Miss RSA 1980, did not compete at Miss Universe 1980 in Seoul due to pilitical reasons. She was not allowed a visum.
01: Jenny Kay (Swire)
02: Jill Willsworth
03: Denise de Wit

FINALISTS
Ancois Swanepoel
Bernadine Schneider
Debbie O'Neil
Desiree Wellendorf
Elizabeth Mopape
Esme Terblanche
Geraldine van der Linde
Jane Sing-Lee
Labaree Warner
Linda van Zyl
Magariet Schoeman
Marie Terblanche
Moyra Mulholland (Botta) - also a finalist in 1982 ( a makeup artist who's worked with stars such as Nicole Kidman and Ashley Judd)- sister of Sonya Mulholland (wife of the tennis player Mats Wilander)
Image- http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2011/0 ... anic-house
Rina Bezuidenhout
Suzette du Toit
Tania Vray
Tessa van der Merwe

Mark Rupert Alexander Swire was born in 1957. He is the son of Humphrey Roger Swire and Philippa Sophia Montgomerie of Southannan. He married Jennifer Kay, daughter of Ronald Kay and Joyce Wesgtrgaard, in 1986. He and Jennifer Kay were divorced in 1996.
Children of Mark Rupert Alexander Swire and Jennifer Kay
Alice Sophia Cecilia Swire b. 1991
Atalanta Oonagh Swire b. 1993
Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:53 am

South Africa at Miss Universe 1981 - Miss RSA 1981

01: Daniela di Paolo- Unplaced at Miss Universe 1981
02: Gillian Lonsdale (Macpherson) (was a flatmate of murdered Anthea Burgess below at one stage)
03: Amber Cummins

TOP 5
04: Wendy Snyders
05: Debbie Ratcliffe

FINALISTS
Anthea May Burgess- murdered in 1982 http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZASCA/1984/100.html
Image Miss Foschini 1978
with Corinne ....(King) and Sandra de Meyer, Miss South Africa, 1982
Brigit Barker
Cheryl Misrole
Fiona White(Miss Personality)- 2nd runner-up Miss South Africa 1980
Gill Shorten
Heather Thompson
Janet Elcock
Julie Rall
Karin Coetzee
Karin Mostert
Kim Edwards
Marinda Oosthuizen
Othene Dempers (Munson)

Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby prowazekii » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 am

Finally a good articl posted :=p
i think of Miss Universe who is the most beautiful, most femininely graceful, most charming, delightful and sweet...
prowazekii
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.
PIONEERS are the most experienced members of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: Ron Weasley Fr. Hogwarts
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Profession: Physician
Hobbies/Interests: The OLympic Games,Miss Universe,HP and Haus MD
Message: " hard work and perseverance outlast sheer luck and talent"

Postby Lanelk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1982 - Miss RSA 1982

01: Odette Scrooby (Joubert) - Top 12 at Miss Universe 1982
02: Andrea Stelzer - Miss South Africa 1985 and Miss Germany 1988
03: Gail Sylvester (Miss Personality)
Image- recent picture

TOP 5
04: Lesley Strydom
05: Sandra de Meyer- Miss South Africa 1982

FINALISTS
Bibby Bakro
Charlene Barron
Cynthia Malgas
Dale Schultz
Desiree Donaldson
Kerry Fletcher-Evans
Linda Gunter
Millie Strydom
Moyra Mulholland (Botta) - also a finalist in 1980
Shannon Swanepoel
Shereen Eager
Vanessa Woods
Yvette Peacock

At Miss Universe- Top 12
1982 MISS UNIVERSE SHOCKING ELIMINATION
by clit » 10 Dec 2012, 14:37- http://www.missosology.info/forum/viewt ... 1&t=160592
It has been 30 years since the greatest unsolved mystery in the history of Miss Universe unraveled in Lima, Peru.
South Africa's Odette Octavia Scrooby had confirmed her frontrunner status when she topped the Preliminary Competition which consisted of Swimsuits, Evening Gowns & One-on- One Interview with the Judges.
She also had the highest average score in the Preliminary Swimsuit Competition followed by England and USA.
She was unstoppable going into the Coronation Night but it wasn't meant to be
SHOCKING SWIMSUIT SEMIFINALS
After the announcement of the Top Twelve where she was the fourth girl to be called, the Interviews came next where she placed 2nd.
It was in the Swimsuit Competition where the journey of Odette abruptly ended.
For some inexplicable reasons, she was given a dismal score that ranked her 10th among the 12 semifinalists .
It was inconceivable that the same set of judges who gave her the highest marks during the Preliminary Swimsuit Competition would deliberately mark her down in that segment of the semifinal round.
Pageant fans speculated that perhaps one of the judges might have punched in the wrong score thus the shockingly low 7.225 average score or perhaps, there might have been a computer glitch
Odette rallied in the Evening Gown Competition which she won but it was not enough.When the average scores came out, she lost the fifth and final spot to Miss USA who had 8.181. She settled for sixth place with a heart- breaking 8.172.
Close but not enough to advance to the final round
With the 61st Miss Universe Pageant just around the corner, God forbid that the same fate would befall another Miss South Africa, the lovely Melinda Bam, who just like Odette Scrooby, is also a favorite among fans and experts alike. (Well, sad to say, but just that has happened! ;-( ) =O/ =O/ =O/ :%(( :%(( :%((

1982 - South Africa (Odette Scrooby)- http://beautypageantpredictor.blogspot. ... -1982.html
In possibly the biggest injustice in Miss Universe history, an apparent computer glitch prevented Miss South Africa from reaching the Top 5 and likely cruising to the 1982 crown in Lima. Scrooby, a stunning blonde who lived on a farm outside of Johannesburg, qualified for the Top 12 semifinals in first place, a full 0.285 points ahead of second-placed Miss USA, Terri Utley.
On finals night Scrooby finished second in interview and first in evening gown, but a mysteriously low 10th place in swimsuit (7.225) put her in sixth place overall, just 0.009 points behind Utley, who snared the final spot in the Top 5. Even more mind-boggling is the fact that Scrooby finished first in the preliminary swimsuit competition, a full 0.809 points ahead of eventual winner, Miss Canada, Karen Baldwin.
Baldwin can indeed count herself lucky as she became her country's first Miss Universe in Scrooby's absence. In turn, we can be considered unlucky for subsequently being subjected to her wretched turn as interviewer during the disastrous 1989 pageant in Cancun.
In the lead-up to its Miss Universe shutout over its apartheid policy, South Africa was somewhat unlucky in the early 1980s, with their strong 1983 delegate Leanne Hosking missing out on the semifinals and the well-spoken Leticia Snyman finishing first runner-up in 1984 to a beautiful, if rather dull, Miss Sweden, Yvonne Ryding.

Odette Scrooby Joubert (1982) abd Yolanda Kloppers (1978) Former Miss South Africa's

Former Miss SA robbed at her home- 24 May 2013 KAREN CHEN- http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... me-1521206
Johanensburg - Former Miss SA Odette Scrooby-Joubert was robbed at gunpoint in her Bryanston home by two men on Thursday.
One man was wearing a shiny plastic wig with a blue fringe.
The 1982 beauty pageant winner, 49, was working on her computer at 8.45am when the robbers walked into her home office, with the gardener held at gunpoint.
One man struck her on the head with his gun before leading her into her room, where her four-year-old son was playing with his nanny.
“He pointed the gun against my head, right between my eyes,” Scrooby-Joubert said. “Until then I thought it was a plastic gun, but when I felt the metal, I knew it was real.”
The men demanded her jewellery and asked if she had any firearms, which she did not. After taking her valuables, the two men locked her, her son, the nanny and gardener in the bedroom.
At that point, she was able to call the police from a phone in her bathroom. The police arrived within moments but the robbers had disappeared.
Police told Scrooby-Joubert the robbers must have noticed that the phone was in use and decided to escape.
A third accomplice was allegedly waiting outside in the getaway vehicle.
Scrooby-Joubert said the fear she felt for her young son, and for her life, far outweighed any lost possessions.
“I have a bump on my head and a very sore neck, and I hear this ringing… but I’m just so grateful we all have our lives,” she said.
Scrooby-Joubert’s older son, 22, was asleep in a room on the far side of the house, and after she phoned the police, she called him to tell him to lock his door.
When the door opened into the bedroom they were locked in, Scrooby-Joubert said she was relieved to see it was her son who was letting them out.
“We live in an amazing country, but unfortunately we live in a country with a lot of crime,” she said.
The attack has made her feel vulnerable, she said, even with the two electric fences, boomed street and security guard she employs.
Her husband was out of town on business. Scrooby-Joubert also has eight dogs, and only one, Quentin, barked at the intruders.
Police told Scrooby-Joubert that a similar crime occurred in Parkmore recently. Valuable jewellery was also taken in that robbery.
Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:21 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1983 - Miss RSA 1983

01: Leanne Hosking- unplaced at Miss Universe 1983
02: Karen Maingard (DE cHARMOY)- She is married to a South African singer of the 80's Pierre de Charmoy
03: Cathy Steed

TOP 5
04: Anna Marie Retief
05: Renelle Renaud

FINALISTS
Brenda Williams (Els)
Carol Cusens
Carolyn Read
Colleen Rowan
Karen Parker
Moneen Poisson
Rhonwyn Anne Carter (Bisgaard)
Ruth Abrahams
Sharon van Zanten
Shirley Vogel
Vivienne Zimri (Miss Personality)

At Miss Universe 1983
Last edited by Lanelk on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby DUBROVNIK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Wonderful Margaret Gardiner!! (*) the first and the only South African Miss Universe!

Miss Gardiner, one of the tallest beauty queens of all the times: at 5-feet-10,5 in. She swept all three semi-finals competitions and it was obvious she was the virtually unanimous choice of the judges.

In this edition of the Miss Universe 1978 (held in Mexico City) none of the competitors identified themselves as feminists but several indicated that the waves of liberated sex may have even caught up with these models of Pure Beauty.

Current image with her husband André Nel and her son Patrick.
DUBROVNIK
PREDICTIONISTS are known to give sharp & accurate pageant forecasts.

Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1997
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Employee - Part time librarian
Hobbies/Interests: International current events, trips, Classic songs

Postby Lanelk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:09 am

South Africa at Miss Universe 1984 - Miss RSA 1984

01: Letitia Snyman (Rubenstein) - 1st runner-up at Miss Universe 1984
02: Andrea Stelzer- Miss South Africa 1985 and Miss Germany 1988
03: Theresa du Plessis

TOP 5
04: Lorna-Anne Findlay
05: Sharon van Zanten

FINALISTS
Cathy Gibson
Debbie Lloyd
Elsie Human
Hermien Louw
Lynette Fischer
Petra Schoonees
Wendy Harris

At Miss Universe 1984

in 2015- Australia (Facebook profile picture)
Last edited by Lanelk on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanelk

Postby DUBROVNIK » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

Andrea Stelzer - The only woman to be a Miss RSA 1985 and Miss Germany 1989!

In April, 1985 the city of Miami requested that the Miss Universe organization insist that South Africa should not send a representative to pageant.
In mid May the nation announced that they would not send their titleholder, Andrea Steltzer, to the pageant because of fears for her safety.
But three years after, Andrea Stelzer crowned as Miss Germany Universe 1988! :7
She's half South African and half German, took part as Miss Germany in the 1989 Miss Universe pageant where she was in the exclusive group of Ten Finalists.

Margaret Gardiner, Miss Universe 1978, came out to South Africa for a function that one of our magazines, "Rooi Rose", held for cancer. Here I am with her at the function that was held in October 2007. Also included in the picture is Andrea Stelzer, Miss RSA 1985.
DUBROVNIK

Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1997
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Employee - Part time librarian
Hobbies/Interests: International current events, trips, Classic songs

Postby Lanelk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:28 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1995 as Miss Universe South Africa 1995 (NO DELEGATES TO MISS UNIVERSE 1985-1994)

01: Augustine Masilela (Chuene)- Miss Universe South Africa 1995, Top 10 at Miss Universe 1995 and Miss South Africa runner-up in 1992.
02: Zoleka Skweyiya- Finalist Miss South Africa 1992 (In 2014: Zoleka Skweyiya, the manager of public relations strategy at Sun International, which owns the title, said: “Miss SA is a platform to launch careers. We see it as a relevant project that contributes to women empowerment, and presents opportunities and exposure to the winner.”)-http://www.news24.com/Archives/City-Press/Miss-SA-It-takes-more-than-just-world-peace-20150429
with Claudia Henkel- Miss South Africa 2004
03: Natalie Benard- also 2nd runner-up Miss South Africa 1995
Image at Miss South Africa 1995 (right)

FINALISTS
Anna-Marie Kriek
Daphne Neethling- 2nd runner-up Miss Universe South Africa 1996, Miss South Africa 1993 finalist
Lendy Mgwane
Linda Xapa
Lucille Fredericks- Miss South Africa 1993 finalist
Marelize Steyn - Mrs South Africa 2002 and 2nd runner-up Miss South Africa 1993
Michelle du Preez
Nicole Wallace
Petra Berndt
Ronel Ruthven (Starbuck)- Miss South Africa 1994 finalist
Sanchia Markgraaff
Sonia Kempff- 1st runner-up Miss South Africa 1994
Image in 2010. She was married to Christian Scholtz, a former Springbok rugby player (on the picture with Ben Hawthorn )

At Miss Universe 1995

with Basetsana Makgalemele (Miss South Africa 1994 and 1st runner-up Miss World 1994)
Image - on her wedding day as on her facebook page
Last edited by Lanelk on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1996 as Miss Universe South Africa 1996
01: Carol Anne Becker (Carol Reynolds)- (Unplaced at Miss Universe 1996)
Carol is a qualified advocate who has Honours degrees in both Business Management and Psychology. She worked for a financial company in the Western Cape before joining Pam Golding Properties and has accumulated over 10 years’ experience in the real estate industry.
Her background in law, psychology, management and finance has equipped her to run two successful Pam Golding franchises in the Durban Metropolitan area. She is currently reading her Masters degree in Psychology and employs coaching as a management tool within her businesses.
She is arguably one of the most qualified professionals in the real estate industry in South Africa today.
She has five degrees.

02: Johanna Makgalemele (Mukoki)- sister of Miss South Africa 1994, Basetsana Makgalemele
Group CEO -Travel with Flair - Corporate Travel
03: Daphne Neethling- Finalist Miss Universe South Africa 1995
She is currently the brand marketing director of African Romance and she is is married to Mohseen Valli Moosa, the company's CEO.

FINALISTS
Diane Meyer
Hecele Prins (Campbell)
Lendy Mswane
Lisa Matis
Michelle du Plessis
Natalie Benard- 2nd runner-up Miss Universe South Africa 1995 and Miss South Africa 1995
Wendy Jonker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carol-reynolds-13127a14
My background is very colourful: I studied LAW and PSYCHOLOGY, and then found myself in the exciting world of modelling and television after winning the Miss Universe SA pageant in 1996. I have always been passionate about property and throughout my life have invested in real estate. I have worked at Pam Golding Properties for several years as both an agent and a manager. I now own the Durban and Durban North franchises of Pam Golding Properties. I am also currently reading my Masters Degree in Psychology.
Last edited by Lanelk on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lanelk

Postby Lanelk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 pm

South Africa at Miss Universe 1997 as Miss Universe South Africa 1997 (since 1998 the Miss South Africa or 1st Runner-up is competing at Miss Universe) - See thread called: Miss South Africa 1956-2016 for further details

01: Mbali Gasa- Unplaced at Miss Universe 1997
02: Marguerite Wessels
03:

FINALISTS
Bedelia van der Berg
Heila Joubert
Jacintha de Nobrega
Julie Cruywagen
Karin Thomas- also a Miss South Africa 1998 finalist
Rene Roberts (Patel)- Mrs South Africa 2015 finalist
Beauty, brains and heart to be Mrs SA- CAPE ARGUS / 3 July 2015- Nontando Mposo http://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/beauty-b ... sa-1880264
Cape Town - Rene Roberts-Patel’s childhood in Mitchells Plain wasn’t the easiest. Shooting incidents were “normal” and stories of young girls getting raped were rampant.
The world of beauty pageants became a way for her to survive her environment, and today Roberts-Patel is one of 25 contestants who will be competing for the title of Mrs South Africa later this year.
Her life on the Cape Flats moulded her into the strong woman she is today - a mom, wife and entrepreneur. Teaching her not to allow her circumstances to determine her future, says the 38-year-old Roberts-Patel.
“Beauty pageants kept me busy and focused. I also really enjoyed sport at school so I played every single sport that was available at that time… and went to church on Sundays.”
She recalls fond memories of walking to Westridge High School in Mitchells Plain. “We would wake up at the crack of dawn, make our own school lunches and make sure we got to school on time. I also remember the riots in the ’90s, the tear gas… and all the beauty pageants I entered and won.”
“I remember winning a much needed computer for my high school. And representing my high school at a leadership programme on Robben Island,” Roberts-Patel says.
Her first beauty pageant was the Miss Shoprite Spring Queen at the age of 13. “I worked at Shoprite Town Centre in Mitchells Plain and got entered into the pageant by the management staff. They believed I could win the title but I ended up being the first princess, which was not bad for a first timer,” she recalls.
Since then, Roberts-Patel has gone on to compete in numerous beauty competitions, from representing the Western Cape in the Miss South Africa competition to running her own modelling and grooming school. Now living in Joburg with her husband Alpesh Patel and two daughters Shanti and Omala, the beauty queen is not just a pretty face but is also serious about education and reading as an ambassador for Read to Rise in Joburg.
“There are still over 200 schools in Soweto that need books. We go into the forgotten areas of Soweto and target these schools, focusing on the Grade 3 pupils.
“We read to them, sing and also give them books… and for some it’s the first reading book they’ve ever owned,” she says.
“The fun art of entering beauty pageants is getting dressed up in beautiful gowns and having your hair and make-up done. I really enjoyed the applause from the crowd when I stepped out onto the stage. My least favourite part was the question and answer part where we had to answer questions.
“It was definitely an expensive hobby and job but luckily for me my mom is a very good seamstress. She made every single dress I wore for the pageants. I would borrow her make-up, mostly blush, mascara and lipstick… the only things I needed in those days,” she says.
She says her mother remains one of her biggest influences. “One lesson that I learnt as a child which still affects my life today is the power of a woman. My mother basically raised my sister and me as my father, who was a marine engineer, would be at sea for months at a time. She gave up her day job to look after us. She in essence played a father-mother role all the time.”
“She has taught me so much, which is always motivating and encouraging me to achieve my goals and to never give up on my dreams,” says Roberts-Patel.
A hundred hopefuls started their quest for the title in March. Over the months and through various projects, the women have been fundraising for the Cancer Association of South Africa (Cansa). Roberts-Patel will be hosting a “Pink Tie” fundraising event for Cansa on Sunday at The Sands in Sandton.
Marc Lottering will be the MC for the afternoon and entertainment includes the likes of Chad Saaiman and LeAnne Dlamini.
“Mrs South Africa is a pageant but most of all it’s a women empowerment programme. A beauty queen’s key qualities are being a good ambassador to the women you represent and having a good heart.
“During the months I had the opportunity to change a special person’s life forever and details of that will be the big announcement for the day. The competition has also given me the opportunity to use this platform to do amazing things; things that I wouldn’t have done. That is why I’d like to encourage other married women to enter. It’s definitely a life-changing experience and I’m enjoying every minute of it,” she adds.
Find her on her official Facebook page Rene Roberts-Patel Mrs SA Finalist or on Instagram and Twitter at @renerp2.

Uyanda Sibiya
in 2009 with Julia Morley- Chairwoman of the Miss World Organisation

Mbali Gasa
Mbali Gasa, the winner of the Miss South Africa beauty pageant in 1997, with her husband, former SAA boss Khaya Ngqula.

Gasa’s murder shocks family- 30 March 2013 NONDUMISO MBUYAZI- http://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/gasas-mur ... ly-1493772

Durban - Traumatised former Miss South Africa Mbali Gasa was this weekend faced with the task of explaining to her young children where their grandfather was.
Mbali, the daughter of murdered Durban businessman Nhlanhla Gasa, had to explain to her young children – who were looking forward to spending the Easter weekend with their grandfather – why they would not see him again.
Gasa was fatally stabbed in his upmarket Umhlanga house earlier this week.
Residents of Newark found his body, which had multiple stab wounds, floating in the Tugela River 77km up the North Coast near KwaDukuza, on Tuesday. His burnt-out Jaguar was found parked nearby.
Provincial police spokesman Colonel Vincent Mdunge said police at the scene initially thought that Gasa had drowned but realised that something was amiss when they searched the area and found the car.
It is alleged that the father-of-four was killed late on Monday in his home by men who then bundled his body into his car and drove to the river.
There was no sign of forced entry, said Mdunge, adding that Gasa was alone at the time of the attack. “A trail of blood was found in the house which led to the garage, suggesting that he was dragged after he was murdered,” he said.
KwaZulu-Natal Police Commissioner Mmamonnye Ngobeni has since established a special task team to investigate circumstances surrounding the brutal murder.
Police were following several leads, said Mdunge, adding that arrests were imminent. The motive was still unknown.
Gasa, 63, who reportedly had close ties with the ANC, was the chief executive of Gasa and Associates, a management and human relations consultancy.
The former chairman of Umgeni Water is survived by his wife, Sinenhlanhla, and four children, including his two famous daughters – Noni Gasa, a model, actress and fashion marketer and Mbali.
Family spokesman Louis Seeco said the close-knit family had rallied around his wife, who was inconsolable.
He said a devastated Mbali, the winner of the beauty pageant in 1997 who married former SAA boss, Khaya Ngqula, in 2005 had to explain to her children why they couldn’t see their grandfather.
“The grandkids were meant to come down from Joburg to see Mr Gasa over the Easter weekend and he was very excited about their visit. It has been very difficult for Mbali to explain why grandpa is not around,” he said on Friday.
When asked if the family would hire a private investigator, Seeco said the family had faith in the police. “The family just wants to know who did this and why,” he said.
Seeco said a memorial service will be held on Wednesday and the funeral on Friday.
Lanelk

Return to South Africa