Why Mariann Birkedal fell short of winning Miss World?

Why Mariann Birkedal fell short of winning Miss World?

Postby ajsy0203 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:33 am

Previously: Perla Beltran
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1841593&p=8085923#p8085923

Now we are focusing on Mariann Birkedal of Norway. Mariann was a heavy favorite to win Miss World 2010 in China but at the same time The 2010 Nobel Peace Prize Award was awarded to a Chinese dissent named Liu Xiao Bo which the members of the committee came from Norway.

During the Miss World 2010 finals, Mariann made the first cut because of her Top Model fast track win and made it to the Final 7. When she was eliminated after the announcement of Final 5, the Nobel Peace Prize controversy started to link her loss at Miss World. Some netizens speculated that her elimination from the crown was a form of retaliation from the Chinese judges' against the awarding of Xiao Bo as the Nobel Peace Prize recipient. Since her loss, no Norwegian beauties made the first cut.

Do you think the Nobel Peace Prize controversy was the reason why Mariann lost the crown to Alexandra Mills of United States? If was not Nobel Peace Prize controversy, why do you think she fell short of winning the crown?

Last edited by ajsy0203 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Office Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Re: Why Mariann Birkedal fell short of winning Miss World?

Postby vinusya » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:53 pm

It's not your pageant.
If everyone can be a beauty queen, what is hardwork?
Maybe there is no hardwork, only surgeries ?
vinusya
GRAPHIC DESIGNERS are creative minds & beautifiers of the forum.

Real Life Name/Nick: Nawatt
Date of Birth: 11 Aug 1994
Profession: Red Haired Model
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Hobbies/Interests: Net Surfing
Message: A queen shouldn't be lazy going to the gym, caring, reading and learning.

Postby kristof » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:30 am

I don't think she was that big a favourite to win. People jumped on her bandwagon after she won Top Model and was top 3 in Beauty Beauty. Even if she was called in top 5 Venezuela and Botswana were still stronger.

I don't think there's any correlation between her not winning and whatever happened with the Nobel Prize. The fact that she won Top Model which I thought should have been won by Russia, and did well in many which had Chinese judges proves the judges liked her a lot.

She went on to make top 7, that is a great achievement considering she was a clapper in Miss Universe 2008. If Chinese judges or MWO wanted to block her in every way and she'd have clapped, and no one would question why she clapped.

kristof

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 1990
Profession: Artist
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Internet, Pageant, Music

Postby ajsy0203 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am

kristof wrote:I don't think she was that big a favourite to win. People jumped on her bandwagon after she won Top Model and was top 3 in Beauty Beauty. Even if she was called in top 5 Venezuela and Botswana were still stronger.

I don't think there's any correlation between her not winning and whatever happened with the Nobel Prize. The fact that she won Top Model which I thought should have been won by Russia, and did well in many which had Chinese judges proves the judges liked her a lot.

She went on to make top 7, that is a great achievement considering she was a clapper in Miss Universe 2008. If Chinese judges or MWO wanted to block her in every way and she'd have clapped, and no one would question why she clapped.

I don't understand why the pageant fans link her loss at Miss World 2010 to the Nobel Peace Prize controversy?
ajsy0203

Postby ajsy0203 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm

Postscript: Norway suffered 12 year placement drought at the Big 5 pageants after Mariann's controversial elimination at Miss World 2010 (which I already mentioned already) until Lilly Sødal made it to the Top 20 at Miss Earth 2022.
ajsy0203

Postby Jon A » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:55 pm

kristof wrote:I don't think she was that big a favourite to win. People jumped on her bandwagon after she won Top Model and was top 3 in Beauty Beauty. Even if she was called in top 5 Venezuela and Botswana were still stronger.

Agree with everything here. If anything I think she was a bit overrated and lucky to get that far.

Norway did very well that year because Geir Hammel, who used to run Froken Norge retired that year. Mariann was his last winner, and this was Julia's going away present. Just like MUO tends to welcome new countries with a placement, MWO has a habit of sending off NDs with a high placement. Not that this happens without a worthy delegate, but look at the record of NDs who have been with MWO for a long time and you will see they leave with a high placement.

As for Norway not doing well since, it is simply because Froken Norge was a good contest that although humble in its organization and staging, always managed to get good girls, and they knew how to prepare the winners, something the new Miss Norway contest just has never managed to do, perhaps because there was a gap between when Froken Norge ended and this new contest started up with the MW and Miss Universe licenses.
Jon A
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.
PAGEANT EXPERTS are MASTERS & PROFESSIONAL ANALYSTS of pageantry.

Date of Birth: 19 Jan 1973
Profession: consultant
Western Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Hobbies/Interests: Reading, Travelling, Pageants

Return to Miss World