Miss Universe New Zealand 2011 is Priyani Puketapu!

Re: Miss Universe New Zealand 2011 is Priyani Puketapu!

Postby jgrayjnr » Tue May 03, 2011 6:39 am

Yes i can imagine it would have been clear as day to judge them on the night. Yes I think Talia needs to improve her public speaking, redo her whole makeup strategy and for a girl with a wicked figure - how on earth did she manage to find a gown that totally didn't do it justice? Courtney brought it and Priyani just sounded like a safe bet all round.
Very interesting hearing the d low on the night!

Ronit wrote:That is alright :-D but i did forget to mention my chosen top 3 judging from the night (not the bad photos)

Top 3 (which turned out to be correct so i guess i have good taste :-D )
Courtney - She shone in all sections, lovely smile, good hair and makeup looked great on stage but bikini body could be more toned
Talia - Looked good and stood out in most sections, nice toned body (great legs) but the gown let her down and she spoke poorly, also less makeup please as it did not look good on stage
Priyani - also looked good in all sections, very nicely toned body, spoke well, smile and hair could be improved

I thought it would have been out of Courtney and Priyani then Talia 2nd runner up

the comments above could be used by the girls for self improvement, i am not trying to put down anyone

I think both Talia and Courtney should enter again

disappointment for me: i had high hopes for Cassie and thought she would have been in the top 3 but she was unco, looked very thin & had bad makeup & hair - these aspects can also easily be improved so dont give up girls

jgrayjnr
PROFESSIONALS are DIPLOMATIC and QUALITY posters.

Date of Birth: 01 Jan 2015
Sexual Orientation: Not sure
Profession: ALL
Hobbies/Interests: everything

Postby Ronit » Tue May 03, 2011 8:59 am

Yes Talia should enter next year... As you can see from this interview (the morning after the show) how beautiful and intelligent Priyani is :-D I cant wait to see more of her...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZdufRmadt4
Ronit
Dark green members are SEMI-ACTIVE posters.

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1985
Profession: tourism
Hobbies/Interests: gym/swimming

Postby jgrayjnr » Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm

The winning woven flax garment of the Cult Couture Fashion Supreme Award by Shona Tawhiao would be a perfect National Costume for Priyani to highlight her Maori heritage!

jgrayjnr

Postby happyfashionista » Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I like Tawhiao’s designs but if I was going to pick one of her dresses for Priyani it would be this one with a different bottom.
1. Priyani has a great toned hour glass figure so show off that waist and the chest. I like the assymetrical detail
2. I think Priyani has great toned legs so don’t hide them. I’m not a fan of this skirt for a costume, but I think if the flax weave started to distress just at her hips and it was woven into a softer sheerer fabric – hate to say it but chiffon. That way when she walks across stage people will be attracted to the movement and to her. I’ve seen some nation
3. Black is striking and one of our national colours, but I like red on Priyani. Tawhiao has some red flax work in her designs which would rock. With bright lights it would have to be a deeper red.

But I also like Ana Hua. This dress is a bit much with the wing piece, but I like the dress itself – slinky and shiny. I wouldn’t put this in red, but a red headpiece would add something. I think it would look great on Priyani.

Looking at Miss Universe evening gowns, they are a lot of rhinestones and chiffon and satin. I know her gowns are being made by a bridal store, but someone mentioned Kiri Nathan and she makes wonderful gowns that are wonderful and not just culturally. She has a wedding gown line as well which can easily be something more Miss Universe style.
BUT NOT THIS PINK
Or this…
Not sure on Priyani if this green would stand out or not. Royal blues and purples maybe. (this kid is looks way too young)
happyfashionista
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: happy fashionista
Date of Birth: 30 Mar 1990
Profession: admin assistant
Hobbies/Interests: fashion and beauty

Postby jgrayjnr » Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 pm

ROMANTIC, CLASSIC or SEXY?

Which of these three Kiri Nathan gowns do you think she suits?

jgrayjnr

Postby jgrayjnr » Tue May 03, 2011 9:34 pm

nice observations :) red would look hot on her. I think the distress skirt is a nice idea too. see my kiri nathan pics below..>

happyfashionista wrote:I like Tawhiao’s designs but if I was going to pick one of her dresses for Priyani it would be this one with a different bottom.
1. Priyani has a great toned hour glass figure so show off that waist and the chest. I like the assymetrical detail
2. I think Priyani has great toned legs so don’t hide them. I’m not a fan of this skirt for a costume, but I think if the flax weave started to distress just at her hips and it was woven into a softer sheerer fabric – hate to say it but chiffon. That way when she walks across stage people will be attracted to the movement and to her. I’ve seen some nation
3. Black is striking and one of our national colours, but I like red on Priyani. Tawhiao has some red flax work in her designs which would rock. With bright lights it would have to be a deeper red.

But I also like Ana Hua. This dress is a bit much with the wing piece, but I like the dress itself – slinky and shiny. I wouldn’t put this in red, but a red headpiece would add something. I think it would look great on Priyani.

Looking at Miss Universe evening gowns, they are a lot of rhinestones and chiffon and satin. I know her gowns are being made by a bridal store, but someone mentioned Kiri Nathan and she makes wonderful gowns that are wonderful and not just culturally. She has a wedding gown line as well which can easily be something more Miss Universe style.
BUT NOT THIS PINK
Or this…
Not sure on Priyani if this green would stand out or not. Royal blues and purples maybe. (this kid is looks way too young)
jgrayjnr

Postby Ronit » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 pm

This is a lovely photo of priyani from the night
Ronit

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1985
Profession: tourism
Hobbies/Interests: gym/swimming

Postby garh » Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes I know Kiri Nathan & will contact her regarding approaching Val to give all the assistance for national costume as well as evening gowns .
MY FINIAL MU12 TOP 16

Venezuela
Puerto Rico
South Africa
USA
New Zealand
Georgia
Paraguay
Croatia
Australia
Netherlands
Philippines
Malaysia
Kosvo
France
Finland
Guyana/Chile (fan vote)
garh
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 21 Aug 1972
Profession: Student
Western Zodiac Sign: Leo
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: travel and news

Postby happyfashionista » Tue May 03, 2011 11:56 pm

You do good work in Photoshop! haha.

I think that Priyani can pull off all the looks.

Evening gown: In her past pix, she likes princess romance dresses except the gold dress which was sexy. But for a Miss Universe evening gown I think she should do the Romance dress you posted - soft and sensual. It will be in her comfort zone and from the posts I think she moves well so have a dress that moves with her like a dancer's dress. But I just want to point out, for hair: she likes the side sweep ponytail, but I think something like this
ImageImage

National costume: The Sexy dress does rock but she'd need some fashion tape and pasties! She can pull of sexy but Im not sure with her height if a dress with volume and low cuts would work? It doesn't look like she has a long waist and she has a chest so sometimes a cut that fits those looks better. But for a national costume, she could go with a Sexy dress for sure - it's the best gown to take a risk on. Her curves will make whatever bikini they put her in she'll make it look sexy.

Cocktail dress: She can work the Classic look with her cocktail dresses for sure. She likes that professional look (didn't she wear a blazer in a few pix?), so the Classic dress will give an edge to that look.

jgrayjnr wrote:ROMANTIC, CLASSIC or SEXY?

Which of these three Kiri Nathan gowns do you think she suits?

happyfashionista

Postby happyfashionista » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 am

Just for you Ronit I changed my avatar!

Ronit wrote:This is a lovely photo of priyani from the night
happyfashionista

Postby jek » Wed May 04, 2011 12:33 am

Its a shame about Talia's dress, I hadn't seen a picture from the front of it before. Her makeup was a bit heavy, which is also a shame because she is gorgeous. Between her and Courtney, robbed big time man. They would have been suberb in Miss Universe.
Australia
USA
China
Panama
Netherlands

What an amazing top 5 it would be.

NO FREE PASSES FOR POWERHOUSES THIS YEAR!
jek
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 15 Jan 1990
Profession: Receptionist
Hobbies/Interests: Miss Universe, blogging, makeup

Postby Levingurlz » Wed May 04, 2011 11:41 am

i wasnt goin to say anything cuz Happyfashinista asked me not to and she was nice to me. Shes right its me thats hurt. I want to reply to Jade.

Jade - Im hurt cuz Danelle hurt me. She said mean things behind my back and was openly nasty to me tried to turn ppl against me. What happened wasnt my fault and I was to be nice to her but she blamed me. everyone said she was just acting out like you all say of me and that was easy target but it hurt.

I used to think Nelz was pretty but she turned ugly when she got mean. so im giving her back what she gave me. she made me cry and hate myself n made me afraid. Mean pretty girls r teh worst bulles. Im cryin as I remembre what she did.

Jade you are the smart 1 of your family but you dont no your sister n what she can do to ppl. she can make them feel stink.

You say ppl make mistakes and should grow. Nelz hasnt apologised and there are probably others shes been mean to. danelle kaukau wont be a beautiful person to me til she says sorry.
Levingurlz

Real Life Name/Nick: Pageant Rules
Date of Birth: 21 Dec 2008
Hobbies/Interests: School hangin out

Postby happyfashionista » Wed May 04, 2011 8:31 pm

O hun. I also said this isn't the place to talk about this. Its ok, it's tough when someone is mean and you dont know why. But this isnt teh way to get what you want. I'll PM my email ok and we can talk.

And before any of you punters start in and say this is a call for attention cause I've seen the way you react - DON'T! Even if it is a, she's obviously feeling she needs to reach out. We Kiwis are always say she'll be right and its all in our head, but people hurt people and some of us need help. im sure each of you have felt something was wrongly done to you and got angry.

Levingurlz wrote:i wasnt goin to say anything cuz Happyfashinista asked me not to and she was nice to me. Shes right its me thats hurt. I want to reply to Jade.

Jade - Im hurt cuz Danelle hurt me. She said mean things behind my back and was openly nasty to me tried to turn ppl against me. What happened wasnt my fault and I was to be nice to her but she blamed me. everyone said she was just acting out like you all say of me and that was easy target but it hurt.

I used to think Nelz was pretty but she turned ugly when she got mean. so im giving her back what she gave me. she made me cry and hate myself n made me afraid. Mean pretty girls r teh worst bulles. Im cryin as I remembre what she did.

Jade you are the smart 1 of your family but you dont no your sister n what she can do to ppl. she can make them feel stink.

You say ppl make mistakes and should grow. Nelz hasnt apologised and there are probably others shes been mean to. danelle kaukau wont be a beautiful person to me til she says sorry.

happyfashionista

Postby jadek » Wed May 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Levingirls- PM for you

Happy Fashionista- you seem like such a genuine person.

Nice to see some constructive comments about the girls on the evening, im a big stylist kind of person so i notice little details about what everyone is wearing (including myself!)

Talia- i think your spot on with the dress-the colour is nice it makes her skin look darker and eyes 'pop' but it should have been more fitting. I was lucky enough to be back stage and help her get ready (noone was helping her!) and my snapstar friend took some lovely pictures of her. She was nervous about her speech fumble earlier, but i reassured her she was gorgeous and reminded me of miss mexico.

Sam- this was her first ever pagent!!! Can you believe that? she was great for a newbie and she chose a lovely red colour which went well with her features- the cut out back made it look pretty at the front and then bam- sexy at the back.

Courtney- From the first time i saw a picture of courtney i knew she was going to be in the top five- she has the innocent girl next door look but could look exotic too depending on make up/attire- she was the only one wearing purple and i love loved the bodice of her dress (i friggn love sparkles!) it made her stand out. She always stood out in the dance and modelling (though i think she was in the middle most of the time?) very photogenic.

Nancy- okay she is so lovely. After the crowning i popped back stage and she was jumping up and down because she got into the top five! She was happy because noone discriminated against her she said. She was beautiful, smart and she has a great bod- like most people said she needs to practice her english- but with her speeches you could tell she was making an effort to sound clear and effective. Gown was stunning but i would have liked to see more than one colour (maybe embellish the one shoulder?)

Jasmine- she seemed very confident and her face shot seemed gorgeous- having known her in primary school (over ten years ago) it was quite cool seeing her up there! I would have liked to seen her in colour, a bold one to reflect her personality- orange? pink? im not sure but white with her pretty light hair washed her out a little. Still pretty though!

Georgia- i saw her before evening gowns, she seemed very pretty in person but some of pictures ive seen of her dont do her any justice! Wasn't her gown lovely though? gorgeous fit and nice colour- it didnt wash her out and she didnt wear too much make up.

Isabelle- im sure she has been in this paegent more than twice? or maybe just twice? practice makes perfect! i liked her gown but again with the light hair light dress?? she would have stood out in an emerald green in the same style dress. I have been told how great her personality is! she looked very tired after coming off stage, but i would have been pooped after frolicking in heels all night too!!

Cassie- OMG- sexy much? and what a lovely person! I wish she came out of her shell more though and i didnt like her dress much (even though it had sequins!) it was the colour an off green? light blue for her (but no too light!) or a dark to bring out those gorgeous eyes! and i know people are saying shes too skinny- maybe she could have opted for a gathered or layered dress to add a bit more 'womanly curves'. She could be a super model though, watch that space!

Priyani- i saw her dress and fell in love. if anyone was there on the night, i was the girl with the hard out embellished white top (vintage yay!) and i just love loved priyanis gown. She seemed so poised all of the time, so calm, cool and collected. Her confidence cannot be swayed- even by a rude spectator her yelled out during her top speech, which she nailed! (i told the rude person to stop being pathetic :/) One thing i would change would be the hair style, i think the hair on the side is priyanis good luck charm and signature, but i would like to see her with a fringe and a couple of different hairstyles. She might be like me and hate having her hair put up- but i think a lovely side swept fringe and bun would look oh so gorgeous!

Ashley and laura didnt stand out for me a whole lot- but seeing them at the cocktail evening the night before i thought they were extremly gorgeous!

Lauren- the tall one of the group of course stood out and her gown colour was different. but she has a very typical look, that pretty blonde tall girl look? She should be a news presenter or something! She has that kind of look.

Lastly, Danelle. I'll try not to be byist everyone. Okay a little, i helped do a lot to the dress and i liked the fit on her. Hair- big hair for shortness people! Im not sure if you know that the competition layout on the night was tallest to shortest, of course that was Danelle. Comments about make up, yes she should have opted for make that made those eyes pop and it was too dark, wasnt too keen on the lippy choice either.

All the girls who i met backstage and in elevators etc seem so lovely and none seem 'catty' at all, i can see how the judges had a hard time (apparently there was one point or something between the lowest and highest score) Applause for the girls, their families, the organisers (the stage did look stunning!) and the past winners etc helpers that came it was a very enjoyable evening.

If you want to see some pictures pop onto snapstar - Ales has some pretty pics of the girls back stage and of the crows itself.

looking forward to next year!!
jadek

Real Life Name/Nick: jade
Profession: Student Massey Uni
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion

Postby jgrayjnr » Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 am

Beautiful to read such an informed close up of the contestants at the show and backstage.

I think its just experience really - lost of the Miss USA girls have been competing for years in state pageants, Junior, Teen before hitting the Miss category. I wish one year we had a MIss NZ held with knockout rounds like Survivor or Top Model, so that each week they could improve, take the judges advice and keep being competitive..

We are so overdue for a NZ Project Runway - our designers would rock.

jadek wrote:Levingirls- PM for you

Nice to see some constructive comments about the girls on the evening, im a big stylist kind of person so i notice little details about what everyone is wearing (including myself!)

Talia- i think your spot on with the dress-the colour is nice it makes her skin look darker and eyes 'pop' but it should have been more fitting. I was lucky enough to be back stage and help her get ready (noone was helping her!) and my snapstar friend took some lovely pictures of her. She was nervous about her speech fumble earlier, but i reassured her she was gorgeous and reminded me of miss mexico.

Sam- this was her first ever pagent!!! Can you believe that? she was great for a newbie and she chose a lovely red colour which went well with her features- the cut out back made it look pretty at the front and then bam- sexy at the back.

Courtney- From the first time i saw a picture of courtney i knew she was going to be in the top five- she has the innocent girl next door look but could look exotic too depending on make up/attire- she was the only one wearing purple and i love loved the bodice of her dress (i friggn love sparkles!) it made her stand out. She always stood out in the dance and modelling (though i think she was in the middle most of the time?) very photogenic.

Nancy- okay she is so lovely. After the crowning i popped back stage and she was jumping up and down because she got into the top five! She was happy because noone discriminated against her she said. She was beautiful, smart and she has a great bod- like most people said she needs to practice her english- but with her speeches you could tell she was making an effort to sound clear and effective. Gown was stunning but i would have liked to see more than one colour (maybe embellish the one shoulder?)

Jasmine- she seemed very confident and her face shot seemed gorgeous- having known her in primary school (over ten years ago) it was quite cool seeing her up there! I would have liked to seen her in colour, a bold one to reflect her personality- orange? pink? im not sure but white with her pretty light hair washed her out a little. Still pretty though!

Georgia- i saw her before evening gowns, she seemed very pretty in person but some of pictures ive seen of her dont do her any justice! Wasn't her gown lovely though? gorgeous fit and nice colour- it didnt wash her out and she didnt wear too much make up.

Isabelle- im sure she has been in this paegent more than twice? or maybe just twice? practice makes perfect! i liked her gown but again with the light hair light dress?? she would have stood out in an emerald green in the same style dress. I have been told how great her personality is! she looked very tired after coming off stage, but i would have been pooped after frolicking in heels all night too!!

Cassie- OMG- sexy much? and what a lovely person! I wish she came out of her shell more though and i didnt like her dress much (even though it had sequins!) it was the colour an off green? light blue for her (but no too light!) or a dark to bring out those gorgeous eyes! and i know people are saying shes too skinny- maybe she could have opted for a gathered or layered dress to add a bit more 'womanly curves'. She could be a super model though, watch that space!

Priyani- i saw her dress and fell in love. if anyone was there on the night, i was the girl with the hard out embellished white top (vintage yay!) and i just love loved priyanis gown. She seemed so poised all of the time, so calm, cool and collected. Her confidence cannot be swayed- even by a rude spectator her yelled out during her top speech, which she nailed! (i told the rude person to stop being pathetic :/) One thing i would change would be the hair style, i think the hair on the side is priyanis good luck charm and signature, but i would like to see her with a fringe and a couple of different hairstyles. She might be like me and hate having her hair put up- but i think a lovely side swept fringe and bun would look oh so gorgeous!

Ashley and laura didnt stand out for me a whole lot- but seeing them at the cocktail evening the night before i thought they were extremly gorgeous!

Lauren- the tall one of the group of course stood out and her gown colour was different. but she has a very typical look, that pretty blonde tall girl look? She should be a news presenter or something! She has that kind of look.

Lastly, Danelle. I'll try not to be byist everyone. Okay a little, i helped do a lot to the dress and i liked the fit on her. Hair- big hair for shortness people! Im not sure if you know that the competition layout on the night was tallest to shortest, of course that was Danelle. Comments about make up, yes she should have opted for make that made those eyes pop and it was too dark, wasnt too keen on the lippy choice either.

All the girls who i met backstage and in elevators etc seem so lovely and none seem 'catty' at all, i can see how the judges had a hard time (apparently there was one point or something between the lowest and highest score) Applause for the girls, their families, the organisers (the stage did look stunning!) and the past winners etc helpers that came it was a very enjoyable evening.

If you want to see some pictures pop onto snapstar - Ales has some pretty pics of the girls back stage and of the crows itself.

jgrayjnr

Postby Dionysus » Thu May 05, 2011 10:11 am

Congrats to Miss Puketapu =c3 >=p

:-* :-*
[youtube]g_Cy-Z0new8[/youtube]
Dionysus

Real Life Name/Nick: DIONYSUS
Date of Birth: 03 Dec 2010
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: XXXXX
Hobbies/Interests: XXXXX
Message: ♥ Karisma Kapoor, Renée Zellweger, Christina Aguilera ♥

Postby happyfashionista » Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 am

Cripes Jgray - I love Miss Tyra, but those shows need drama otherwise people wouldn't watch! Had enough on this board. Maybe that's where the regional pageants need to help out more?

Thanks Jade - sending you a PM! Such great comments. I think everyones big hair should have been toned down two inches :) Pictures defintely don't always tell you whats going on. But I still think those opening number dresses were the worst. Sequinced fabric is really hard to work with even if its on a bias. For a dance number too!

I sketched an idea of my dress for Priyani but didnt bring it to work. O well, I have spent way too many hourse using my work email for this! Haha.

jgrayjnr wrote:Beautiful to read such an informed close up of the contestants at the show and backstage.

I think its just experience really - lost of the Miss USA girls have been competing for years in state pageants, Junior, Teen before hitting the Miss category. I wish one year we had a MIss NZ held with knockout rounds like Survivor or Top Model, so that each week they could improve, take the judges advice and keep being competitive..

We are so overdue for a NZ Project Runway - our designers would rock.

jadek wrote:Levingirls- PM for you

happyfashionista

Postby souslechat » Fri May 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Well I am surprised at how much unpleasant things people have said on this forum.! If we are all honest we know all these events are really pre-decided - all you have to do is look and see that the same group of girls were interviewed, photographed etc. and they made the top 5. It was said that the girls were in order of height but this is not so and you can see this when they are lined up together all wearing high shoes. Some girls got to wear lovely bright colour clothes in the catwalk section and two wore the same material and they were to stand next to each other! At the end I think the right girl was chosen to go for New Zealand. I do not think she is perhaps the most beautiful but she is a complete package of beauty, poise, she has done many pageants so knows how to play the game and she seems a very nice girl. Number 2 Talia is very pretty but every photo her smile is the same and on the photos posted on this forum she looks very different in each one even her eye colour is different. She is a great model but only one look. Number three is very cute in an American teenager way. I did not see her on the night of course so can not comment on how she modeled. Very pretty but too cute. The other top 5 people were a real surprise to me - Isabelle is a constant attender in this events and I do not understand her place in the top 5. She made 5 last year will she just keep trying to get higher placed? She is also much shorter than she says if others are telling the truth about her height she is shorter than many of them. She has a very 'pageant' appearance though. Nancy - well just one question - why? then someone said there is much Chinese support of this event and there is the answer. I have seen her answers to being interviewed including saying she likes Chinese boys... perhaps she does not think herself a New Zealand girl. She was different from the others only because she is Chinese but she is not more beautiful.
Last I think maybe New Zealand need to change the organiser if everything said here is true. If the organiser has a lot of influence on your regional events then they are choosing who will go forward to your national event. She not be a judge on the regional events at all as she will influence decisions based on what she wants in her national competition. If you want more girls to do this then you need to be more transparent and definitely not pre-decide who is your winner.
Good luck to Miss Universe New Zealand though I will watch with interest how you go in Brazil.
souslechat

Date of Birth: 21 Dec 1979
Profession: Etudiente
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: les sports

Postby jgrayjnr » Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Interview with Priyani in the Dominion Post

The woman crowned New Zealand's most beautiful grew up in Horowhenua impersonating Posh Spice and doing her best to get in front of the camera. Priyani Puketapu, Miss Universe New Zealand, a communications student, discusses romantic movies, loud eating noises, the importance of looking good and her admiration for Angelina Jolie.

Where did you grow up?

In Levin. I went to Levin North School, Levin Intermediate and Horowhenua College. When I was 18, I moved to Paraparaumu to be closer to Wellington and university. I go back to Levin whenever I can to relax with my family.

What school subjects appealed most?

I thoroughly enjoyed senior social studies. I found it so fascinating learning about all the different cultures, particularly countries where people's human rights are severely breached. This taught me to really appreciate living in New Zealand.

What were you keen on growing up?

I loved dancing and attended dance class three times a week. From a young age I always enjoyed being in front of the camera. My older sister Tara and I would often put on performances for our family and friends. One time my sister, my cousin Tammy, my brother John and I all dressed up as the Spice Girls, with tennis racquets as guitars and skipping ropes as microphones. Of course, I was Posh Spice.

What sports did you play?

I enjoyed all sports - netball, basketball, touch rugby, athletics, gymnastics, cross- country running, and I love the gym.

Who did you look up to growing up?

My older sisters. Tara is 2 1/2 years older than me but I would always tag along with her and her friends. She would get quite sick of me sometimes and tell me to get lost, but we are now the best of friends.

Most embarrassing on-stage moment?

I was doing a monster dance in one of the dance school recitals and I was wearing a big scary wig on my head. During the dance it slipped off on to the ground, I ran around stage trying to pick it up but all of the other dancers were tripping and sliding around on it. Everyone knew it was me.

What keeps you awake at night?

All the million things I have to do - knowing that I have an assignment due that I haven't started!

What's your most annoying habit?

My house has to be just so, everything has to be neat and tidy, all the time. I'm sure my partner must get sick of it.

What is your pet hate?

Loud eating noises drive me crazy - slurping, crunching and clicking of the jaw.

Who is your idol and why?

I idolise Angelina Jolie. For someone who works in an industry based so much on the way you look, she stands out because of the true compassion she has. Not only is she the goodwill ambassador for the UN, but she has adopted three children and provided them with a life they would never have had. She is truly inspirational and the definition of someone who is beautiful on the outside as well as within.

Ad Feedback

What makes your day?

The little things in life, such as completing all my housework by 12 or kick-starting the day with the gym. Also things like cooking a nice meal for the family, and quality time with friends and family and cuddling Miss Kitty (my pet cat).

Why do you compete in pageants?

I have always enjoyed performing on stage. I love meeting new people, building relationships and having the opportunity to contribute to a community. You learn so much, with public speaking, interview skills, deportment and networking.

A misconception about the beauty industry you would like to clear up?

I think there is a misconception in New Zealand that beauty pageants are old- fashioned and irrelevant to society, but I could not disagree more. I believe beauty pageants are even more relevant as they provide young women with vital skills that will continue to contribute toward their success for the rest of their lives.

Why do people need to look good?

If you look good, you feel good and that projects to those around you. It is also a sign of respect. You must dress for the environment you are in and make sure you are dressed appropriately for the occasion.

What is your favourite book?

Book, what book? Only books I seem to have my nose in these days are my university guides.

What is your favourite movie?

I love The Notebook, typical gushy female. Love a good comedy as well, like Hot Chick - Rob Schneider is hilarious. I really enjoyed The Black Swan too, as the dancing was amazing.

Who is your biggest influence?

That would have to be my mum. I too often catch myself doing and saying things that she does. We share the same love of animals and compassion for people.

If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

I would love to see my Nanny, Granny and Uncle John one more time and share the celebration of me being crowned Miss Universe New Zealand with them.

If you could teach people at Miss Universe one thing about New Zealand what would it be?

That we in New Zealand are warm, friendly people who work really hard and really love our country. Though we are a small nation, we are a great one with many significant achievements and with many more to come.

Interview: MICHAEL FOX
jgrayjnr

Postby happyfashionista » Mon May 09, 2011 4:29 am

Priyani is so awesome at interviews!

I'm so excited! I got something rolling for her- not huge but you'll see soon :D/

I find the comments from the French guy too conspiracy theory. I think MUNZ are bad at making the girls look bad by putting them in shiney unflattering sack dresses. I don't think they rigged it from the beginning. :(
happyfashionista

Postby jadek » Mon May 09, 2011 10:47 am

What an awesome interview go priyani!

And i know it wasn't rigged! The girls were judged fair and square- after all i know that for sure.

I was so happy after reading this interview, proud even and i think that really says something about priyani.
jadek

Real Life Name/Nick: jade
Profession: Student Massey Uni
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion

Postby Levinboys » Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 pm

I am not here to upset anyone or bring anybody down.
I am here to stick up for someone I truely believe has been dragged through the mud for no apparent reason.
So she seems to be doing well for herself. Crime? ...It shouldn't be!

This is to set the record straight on Levingirls.
I went to school with both of these girls, and was never "friends" with either of them as such, but...

I want to point out LevinGirls story is 100% backward. It was in fact levingirls who bullied, turned Danelle's friends against her and was openly mean to her.
Anybody who went to school with these girls (Me included) will be able to confirm this is what is true.

I don't see where it is constructive to post such nonsence. But good on you, Making awful posts about somebody behind a fake alias is really going to make a difference - Huh?

I think it is wonderful Priyani has done so well for herself, and hope not to hear anymore bad comments on her. Shame on you people for bringing down such a beautiful and ambitious young woman.
Good on you Priyani - I hope you will do us proud.

All the best to each of the girls.

LB
Levinboys
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Real Life Name/Nick: boltz
Date of Birth: 07 Mar 1989
Profession: Telling the truth
Hobbies/Interests: Telling the truth

Postby touchedbyanangel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:50 am

The latest photos of Priyani :
touchedbyanangel
PREDICTIONISTS are known to give sharp & accurate pageant forecasts.

Real Life Name/Nick: gussy
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: bounty hunter
Chinese Zodiac: Ox
Hobbies/Interests: Pet, reality show, shopping, movies, traveling etc

Postby touchedbyanangel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 am

touchedbyanangel

Real Life Name/Nick: gussy
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: bounty hunter
Hobbies/Interests: Pet, reality show, shopping, movies, traveling etc

Postby garh » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Surprised no one has posted yet on these pics? Guess the haters are speechless on how well Pyrani has scrubbed up
MY FINIAL MU12 TOP 16

Venezuela
Puerto Rico
South Africa
USA
New Zealand
Georgia
Paraguay
Croatia
Australia
Netherlands
Philippines
Malaysia
Kosvo
France
Finland
Guyana/Chile (fan vote)
garh

Date of Birth: 21 Aug 1972
Chinese Zodiac: Rat
Hobbies/Interests: travel and news

Postby jgrayjnr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am

The first post-win shots of Priyani...

I think they are ok - but not much of a transformation from when she won. When Ria's first shots came out she blew everyone away and caused a sensation.

I think when she smiles it looks really sweet, not sexy or killer, just kind and earthy. The non smiling pics make her look a bit seductive but she lacks the energy through her eyes to make it come "alive". I'd be watching Tyra for notes if I were her - or the lovely Miss Venezuela Dayana Mendoza!

Priyani needs to find a range of looks. Sultry (the one of her in the white bodice and black dress is my fave). Her eyes are pretty but her smile can be a little crooked at times.

She needs to funk up her hairdo - it not as lush as Rias, but not sure if it would work straightened. Maybe a layered look?

What about a sexy intimates look?

or high fashion spanish dark eyes glamazon look?

this girl looks a bit like her..
jgrayjnr

Postby chaoscreater » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:01 am

wow, where did you guys get all the pictures of Cassie Matthews from? It's funny coz this topic has a lot more pictures than any other sites I've Googled.

Anyway, I'm lucky to have been in the same school as her. She goes to Macleans College, in Howick in case anyone wonders. I see her a few times on the stage (during assembly ceremonies etc), and god damn she was one of the hottest chick in our school.....she also has a Facebook and it's super easy to find (her name is like at the very top lol) so ya, feel free to add her. She doesn't seem to mind adding random people :)
chaoscreater
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 22 Jun 1990
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Chinese Zodiac: Horse
Hobbies/Interests: Girls

Postby Miss Sunshine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 pm

It's shocking to see how people find the time to be so judgemental and one sided, these women are not play dolls they are real kiwi women with
insecurities just like any other person. It takes courage, a leap of faith and tenacity to be able to put themselves out there and participate in these
types of events. Most of these ladies are fairly young and have alot to learn about themselves for sure as you would expect from any young person
as they're all under the age of 25.I think the Miss Universe New Zealand pageant is continuing to strenghten each year and so is the calibre of candidates
who come through the ranks from Katie Taylor, Ria Van Dyke and now Priyani Puketapu, It's not just about who looks or strides the best on the stage,
it's about finding the right fit, who emodies the essence of our kiwi culture, the beauty of our country and can articulate relevant issues that can be
advocated on a world stage. I believe Puketapu has a unique advantage because of her Maori and Pacific Island ancestory coupled with German
and Swedish flavours, she definitely will make an impact in Brazil regardless of whether she wins or not.
Miss Sunshine
NEWBIES are NEW members.
NEWBIES are NEW members.

Date of Birth: 25 Sep 1985
Profession: Business Professional
Western Zodiac Sign: Libra
Hobbies/Interests: Exercise, Dancing, Singing,

Postby jgrayjnr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Lucire article by Jack Yan

Compared with 2010, the web buzz is quieter, but the New Zealand mainstream media interest is greater, as Miss Universe New Zealand 2011 Priyani Puketapu actively prepares for her journey to Miss Universe this year in São Paulo, Brazil.
Following her win, Puketapu was ferried in the BMW X3—after three hours’ sleep—to TVNZ’s Breakfast. Hearing that she was in the building, Te Karere wanted an interview—and it’s hardly stopped since for the new Miss New Zealand with further interviews on radio and, more recently, domestically for TV1 and TV3, airing this month.
In mid-May, Lucire visited Puketapu’s family’s marae in Lower Hutt, accompanied by national gown designer Shika Braddock. Puketapu is justifiably proud of her Te Ati Awa roots, and showed us the Arohanui Ki Te Tangata marae. She introduced us to her grandfather, John Puketapu, the well known artist whose work is on display at Te Papa, the national museum, and her cousin, who filled us in on another side of the family renowned for weaving. We also met an aunt, who was able to give Braddock more clues on colours and flowers from Puketapu’s Rarotongan side.
Since then, Puketapu has journeyed to Auckland for two photo shoots, which have netted, among others, the images on this page, photographed by Denise Baynham. More images can be seen at the official site, www.missuniversenz.co.nz. We’ll update readers on further progress as Priyani Puketapu nears her departure date for Brazil

My response

Well I'm not surprised Jack as your comments prior to the pageant reveal a lack on regard for the blogging world

"This remains why there’ll usually be some gap between what the blogs and forums say and what we judge. Blogs rely on photographs, all taken at different times by different photographers—already there’s room for bias there. For the record, the judges do not take the blogging world into account. We judge based on what is in front of us, and it was plain coincidental that last year, we discovered ex post facto that Ria van Dyke was a favourite for many observers and impressed us. It must be said, too, that Ria had an excellent photograph prior to the pageant that, I imagine, some of the public who did not know her latched on to"

Pageant watchers picked Talia Bennet, and lost interest after she didn't win. Though Ms Puketapu is indeed a fine ambassador with wonderful qualities - these do not translate so fully through her pictures. So a major point she needs to work on and an image she needs to cultivate (like Ria did so brilliantly).
Nice wont cut it on an international stage. Her personality may be gold but the blogging world see only the pics.
We need a new image and one thats up there with the Ximena's and Dayana's. Its a vibe that helps express her inner beauty.
I think she needs modelling coaching. Maybe Susan Rogers Allen wants to get back on the bandwagon?

What about an 80's throwback shoot?

She comes across as too corporate and needs a more youthful feminine vibe..
jgrayjnr

Postby steveybaby » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 pm

I so agree jgray - after Priyani won I lost interest.

Following on from such an amazing vibe with Ria last year making the top 5 in most blogs around the world with a lot of them picking her to win the Miss Universe title (as well as putting New Zealand back on the Pageant Map) - there is no wonder the web buzz is quieter this year, and could possibly get quieter! I would love to know what the other forces were that stopped Ria from going further in the Miss Universe???

This year, like so many others, Talia was my top pick but alas the powers that be (if you can call them that) decided on nice - which like you said, won't cut it on the international stage. When I see the pic of the top 3 in the media - the place getters stand out more. Priyani looks good in some of her recent publicity shots, she is just not Miss Universe worthy - yet anyway. She does have time to work on all the criticisms people are making so hopefully she is taking it all on board and working hard!

On another note - the white Gown she is wearing in the pics out recently - boy has that had some miles! Cassie won Miss Auckland in it last year, and Courtney was shot in it after she won Miss Howick! Hand me down much! That other black and white dress she is wearing was worn by Ria after she won too - is the Miss Universe New Zealand Organisation picking the winner based on if they can fit the outfits in their closet? hahaha

Also - after the big media drama from Val Lott about Ria getting her gorgeous National Costume and Evening Gown from overseas and not from a "Kiwi Designer" - La Shika are doing the Costume and Gown for Priyani this year yeah? They hardly look Kiwi to me!

Oh yeah - and I think Priyani needs to close her BEBO page too - doesn't exactly scream Miss Universe! Clearly she has forgotten she had set it up a few years ago - hopefully ...
steveybaby

Date of Birth: 15 Dec 1976
Profession: Finance & Administration
Western Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Hobbies/Interests: Photography, Friends
Message: This is a great site for people enthusiastic about beauty

PreviousNext

Return to Miss Universe