•••BLACK QUEENS RISING ABOVE RACISM•••

All TOP QUALITY threads of Missosology

Re: •••BLACK QUEENS RISING ABOVE RACISM•••

Postby DUBROVNIK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 am

Zozibini wrote in her account:
"Why is it up for discussion? Why all the negotiations? Why can't we all just be? Why? :-o of @darcy.bourne by @misanharriman"

DUBROVNIK
PREDICTIONISTS are known to give sharp & accurate pageant forecasts.

Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1997
Sexual Orientation: -----------
Profession: Employee - Part time librarian
Hobbies/Interests: International current events, trips, Classic songs

Postby XAMURAI » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 am

terese23 wrote:
Stoichio wrote:
XAMURAI wrote:Miss Israel 2013... :%((

Yes, Yittish deserves a spot here. There was also a Miss Sweden (I think 2002) of African descent in Miss Universe.

Great job!

Thank you!

Yeah, Malou Hansson Miss Sweden 2002. Had only her and Yittish placed the year they competed. The reason why I did not include them both is because they did not received discrimination when they won, but I might be wrong though.

Yityish Titi had a difficult childhood. Although she did not really experience much discrimination as others (for simply being black) her transition from Ethiopian lifestyle to Israel was a a hot topic in TV shows where she guested in. Her victory was widely welcomed in Israel for finally acknowledging the Ethiopian Jews as part of Israeli society. But she received backlash, though, from non-Israelis who questioned her Israel identity.

On a different note, I have to share something about Ariana Miyamoto's case though. I think that the media had overblown the whole story about her, and made Japan look bad for the sake of "publicity". Ariana's victory was widely welcomed in Japan. Many of my Japanese friends were happy about her victory and they thought she's beautiful. They even said that Ariana had an advantage for having a foreigner dad so she had longer legs compared to average Japanese. They meant it as a compliment. But, it's not the narrative that media wanted to sell. They wanted to paint a dark picture about Ariana's victory, and about Japan in general. It's pretty much how media still work these days. They only pick one side of the story - the one that sells - and make a fuzz about petty things to cause controversy. It came to a point where Ariana actually got tired of it because she was being used as a scapegoat. She's a proud Japanese. Her Japanese is way better than her English. She was born in Japan, grew up in Japan and had many Japanese friends. She just felt bad that she was being used by the media and her organization to make Japan look bad... all for money!
My Interview for GMA Western Visayas

[youtube]0UHn679-4P4[/youtube]
XAMURAI
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.
ADMINS are OFFICIAL staffers of Missosology.

Real Life Name/Nick: XAMURAI
Date of Birth: 01 Jul 1979
Sexual Orientation: Asexual
Profession: Company Employee and Entrepreneur
Western Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Hobbies/Interests: Basketball and Camping

Postby DUBROVNIK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:00 am

The three most important beauty queens are black: Miss Teen USA 2019 Kaliegh Garris, Miss USA 2019 Cheslie Kryst
and the reigning Miss Universe Zozibini Tunzi (from South Africa)
DUBROVNIK

Date of Birth: 23 Jan 1997
Profession: Employee - Part time librarian
Hobbies/Interests: International current events, trips, Classic songs

Postby poker_man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:21 am

mybadname wrote:I was hoping also that someday Philippines would send its first Black Amerasian queen in the Miss Universe.

That would never happen. Filipinos have always aspired to be Caucasian, English speaking, etc. They cannot even appreciate the native Filipina looks which is what's common in the country. Being fair-skinned is the standard of top beauty for most Southeast Asian countries.
poker_man
MISSOSOLOGISTS are OFFICIALLY part of the MISSOSOLOGY FAMILY.

Date of Birth: 21 Jun 1985
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Profession: Doctor
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty pageants

Postby aldoteng » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:37 am

Ive always wondered if there is a similar history shared by white or mixed candidates from African or black-majority countries. Of course we all know in history and society, racism towards whites vs racism towards blacks are starkly different.

It took two white SouthAfrican Miss Universe victories before a full black SA won Miss Universe. Meanwhile I recall more mixed SA delegates than blacks - like Tansey Coetzee, Tatum Keshwar, several in the 90s.

Namibia won only through a white. They sent so many black candidates, only one in 2003 placed.

Zimbabwe AFAIK placed only with a mixed candidate in 2000.

Angola and Botswana were the black success stories we all desire, but Angola's second best placer Micaela is mixed and Botswana we know was a one-hitter scorer
aldoteng
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.
INTERMEDIATES are EVOLVING posters.

Real Life Name/Nick: aldoteng
Date of Birth: 20 Jan 2008
Profession: Trading
Western Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Chinese Zodiac: Dog
Hobbies/Interests: Singing in the shower

Postby Thomas876 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:21 pm

It is true that Flora received racist tweets when she was elected but it is only a very small minority, the majority of people do not care about the skin color of our beauty queen, the most important thing is that she feels French and that she loves her country. (at least for me)

What you need to know is that almost every year, the one who gets elected is belittled on social networks because people prefer another candidate and suddenly say things like "the winner is ugly", "the winner has nothing in the head", so there are negative comments on the newly elected beauty queen, whether she is white or black or mixed-race or what you want.

Some white Misses have also suffered violent attacks in France on social networks, like Iris where some could not digest the defeat of Miss Martinique, her first runner-up, and had said that it was better to be white than beautiful, to be elected Miss France. It's a little racist if you ask me.

Flora did not suffer from racism during her reign, she said that she did not pay attention to it and that she preferred to laugh at it.

On the other hand, there is a French beauty queen, also half-Black, who has had a particularly bad experience with racism against her, it is not Flora Coquerel, but Sonia Rolland. She received, after her election, approximately 2,700 letters of insults, she had excrements picked up in the street on her doormat, sputum on her door. We also tore the canvas of her car after writing "négresse" (negress) in huge ... She was 18 years old and it was very violent. Geneviève de Fontenay, upset by all of this, wanted to talk about this racism at that time but Sonia Rolland refused to make a story of it because she didn't want to give importance to a handful of ignorant racists. She only talked about it years later.

That's about my country! :)>-
TOP 5 for Miss Universe 2024 :

1. France 2. Mongolia 3. Kazakhstan
4. Venezuela 5. Kyrgyzstan

TEAM FRANCE 2023
Thomas876
AMBASSADORS represent their country.
AMBASSADORS represent their country.

Real Life Name/Nick: Thomas.
Date of Birth: 26 Aug 1995
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Profession: Something.
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Pig
Hobbies/Interests: Lots of things.

Postby ajsy0203 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 pm

When I saw some videos of Miss South Africa prior to the crowning of first Black Miss South Africa in 1993, there were few black girls competing already but the pageant were dominated by White Afrikaners.

Miss South Africa 1990 where one of the black finalist made it to the Top 5.
[youtube]PjZDReCxSx4[/youtube]
ajsy0203
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.
PAGEANT HISTORIANS are walking encyclopedias of pageantry.

Real Life Name/Nick: AJ
Date of Birth: 05 Sep 1986
Profession: Office Staff
Western Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
Hobbies/Interests: Teaching

Postby the critic » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 am

XAMURAI wrote:
terese23 wrote:
Stoichio wrote:
XAMURAI wrote:Miss Israel 2013... :%((

Yes, Yittish deserves a spot here. There was also a Miss Sweden (I think 2002) of African descent in Miss Universe.

Great job!

Thank you!

Yeah, Malou Hansson Miss Sweden 2002. Had only her and Yittish placed the year they competed. The reason why I did not include them both is because they did not received discrimination when they won, but I might be wrong though.

Yityish Titi had a difficult childhood. Although she did not really experience much discrimination as others (for simply being black) her transition from Ethiopian lifestyle to Israel was a a hot topic in TV shows where she guested in. Her victory was widely welcomed in Israel for finally acknowledging the Ethiopian Jews as part of Israeli society. But she received backlash, though, from non-Israelis who questioned her Israel identity.

On a different note, I have to share something about Ariana Miyamoto's case though. I think that the media had overblown the whole story about her, and made Japan look bad for the sake of "publicity". Ariana's victory was widely welcomed in Japan. Many of my Japanese friends were happy about her victory and they thought she's beautiful. They even said that Ariana had an advantage for having a foreigner dad so she had longer legs compared to average Japanese. They meant it as a compliment. But, it's not the narrative that media wanted to sell. They wanted to paint a dark picture about Ariana's victory, and about Japan in general. It's pretty much how media still work these days. They only pick one side of the story - the one that sells - and make a fuzz about petty things to cause controversy. It came to a point where Ariana actually got tired of it because she was being used as a scapegoat. She's a proud Japanese. Her Japanese is way better than her English. She was born in Japan, grew up in Japan and had many Japanese friends. She just felt bad that she was being used by the media and her organization to make Japan look bad... all for money!

I WOULDN'T SAY ARIANA'S VICTORY WAS WIDELY WELCOMED IN JAPAN WHEN SHE, HERSELF SAID SHE GOT MORE ATTENTION FROM THE INTERNATIONAL MEDIA THAN FROM JAPANESE MEDIA, AND THAT SHE GREW UP NOT BEING FULLY ACCEPTED. AND THERE WERE THE SOCIAL MEDIA ATTACKS ON THE BASIS OF HER RACIAL MAKE UP.
IT WASNT ABOUT MAKING JAPAN LOOK BAD. THE MEDIA WOULD HAVE POINTED IT OUT HAD IT BEEN SWEDEN, INDIA OR NIGERIA. COUNTRIES WITH ETHNIC HOMOGENEOUS POPULATIONS AREN'T USUALLY OPEN TO DIFFERENT LOOKING PEOPLE REPRESENTING THEM UNDER THE BANNRR OF BEAUTY, BUT DON'T USUALLY MIND IN EVENTS LIKE SPORTS.
the critic
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.
ELITES are highly regarded as FINEST posters of Missosology.

Date of Birth: 26 Jul 1985
Profession: Journalist
Hobbies/Interests: Beauty, fashion photography

Postby Liquid_Nylon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Don't forget Miss Davina Bennett (Miss Universe 2017 2RU). The hate she receive world wide due to the texture of her hair, and memes about how she will wear the crown was appalling.
Liquid_Nylon

Real Life Name/Nick: Liquid_Nylon
Date of Birth: 21 Apr 1987
Profession: Account Executive
Western Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Hobbies/Interests: Fashion and Beauty, Travel, Sports

Previous

Return to SEAL OF EXCELLENCE